Explicitly set transform matrix values in Python

What I’d like to do is fairly simple: explicitly set the elements of the 4x4 matrix that is somehow lurking in the Transform class.

The following code lets me do this (hat tip to Reshma, whose post I found while searching):

from paraview.simple import *
from paraview import servermanager
t = servermanager.CreateProxy("transforms", "Transform")
tp = servermanager._getPyProxy(t)
tp.Matrix=[1,0,0, 10,0,1,0,10, 0, 0, 1, 10, 0 ,0, 0, 1]
a = Transform()
a.Transform = tp

However, attempting to set the “Matrix” property without first recovering some sort of proxy object from the servermanager fails, as in the following:

from paraview import servermanager

# Assign transform matrix to specified input source.
target = FindSource('model.stl')

# Print type of Transform instance, and whatever the assigned "Matrix" data may be
a = Transform(registrationName='test', Input=target)
print('Type of a is', type(a))
print('a "Matrix" property is', a.GetProperty('Matrix'))

# Attempt to set Matrix property
a.Matrix = [1,0,0,0, 0,1,0,0, 0,0,1,0, 0,0,0,1]

Which produces the following:

Type of a is <class 'paraview.servermanager.Transform'>
a "Matrix" property is None
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files\ParaView 5.11.1\bin\Lib\site-packages\paraview\servermanager.py", line 476, in __setattr__
    setter = getattr(self.__class__, name)
AttributeError: type object 'Transform' has no attribute 'Matrix'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "C:\Program Files\ParaView 5.11.1\bin\Lib\site-packages\paraview\servermanager.py", line 482, in __setattr__
    _bc.setattr(self, name, value)
  File "C:\Program Files\ParaView 5.11.1\bin\Lib\site-packages\paraview\_backwardscompatibilityhelper.py", line 411, in setattr
    raise AttributeError()
AttributeError

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "<string>", line 10, in <module>
  File "C:\Program Files\ParaView 5.11.1\bin\Lib\site-packages\paraview\servermanager.py", line 489, in __setattr__
    raise AttributeError("Attribute %s does not exist. " % name +
AttributeError: Attribute Matrix does not exist.  This class does not allow addition of new attributes to avoid mistakes due to typos. Use add_attribute() if you really want to add this attribute.

This seemed strange to me, so I tried the following to double check the “transform” object returned by the servermanager.CreateProxy() / _getPyProxy() combination was the same as that returned by creating a new Transform. I also try using a newly created Transform with _getPyProxy() to see if that helps:

t = servermanager.CreateProxy("transforms", "Transform")
tp = servermanager._getPyProxy(t)
print('Type of t is', type(t))
print('Type of tp is', type(tp))
print('tp "Matrix" property is', tp.GetProperty('Matrix'))

target = FindSource('model.stl')
a = Transform(registrationName='test', Input=target)
print('Type of a is', type(a))
print('a "Matrix" property is', a.GetProperty('Matrix'))

b = servermanager._getPyProxy(a)
print('Type of b is', type(b))
print('b "Matrix" property is', b.GetProperty('Matrix'))

Which produces the following output:

Type of t is <class 'paraview.modules.vtkRemotingServerManager.vtkSMProxy'>
Type of tp is <class 'paraview.servermanager.Transform'>
tp "Matrix" property is [0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0]
Type of a is <class 'paraview.servermanager.Transform'>
a "Matrix" property is None
Type of b is <class 'paraview.servermanager.Transform'>
b "Matrix" property is None

So in all cases, the transform object seems to be of type paraview.servermanager.Transform - but only when retrieved via servermanager.CreateProxy() / _getPyProxy() does it contain the Matrix property.

The servermanager._getPyProxy() call seems as if it may be deprecated, or at least it’s not easy to find any information about it anywhere.

Therefore: what’s the correct way to set the elements of a 4x4 transform in ParaView for assignment to an object?

There are kinda-related issues such as the post from Reshma (Nov. '19) linked previously, and another approach via Yuxiang Wang (May '20), but neither of these requests for help were actually answered as far as I can see.

Do the Kitware devs read these forums? Is there a better way for us to ask technical questions?

Hi @jgrime

Your post requires some reading, which is maybe why it was not answered in the one hour between your first and second post :slight_smile: .

Do the Kitware devs read these forums?

On your other questions, it was mostly Kitware engineers answering your questions, so I think you already know the answer to this question :slight_smile:

Is there a better way for us to ask technical questions?

Of course! If you are looking for professional support, you may want to reach out to Kitware directly:
https://www.kitware.com/industry/support/