How Can I read non-ascii FileNames from pvpython

@todoooo : ParaView master does not build against an official release of VTK.

A simple debug steps for this issue would be to bisect it with ParaView.

@mwestphal Bisect it? I’m not sure what you mean.

It was a generic statement, not intended specifically for you.

In any case, since this is a regression and it used to work before, by bisecting we could identify which commit breaks it.

Do not hesitate to open another topic for your build issues.

1 Like

@mwestphal @todoooo @ben.boeckel
Hi guys, glad to tell you that this issue can be solved thank to win10 utf8 setting mentioned by @todoooo .
Follow the instruction from here
Here is my process:

1. Save Fusion manifest to file “paraview.exe.manifest”, change property ‘name’ of element “assemblyIdentity” to “paraview”
  2. Find “mt.exe” in windows kit dir(e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\bin\10.0.18362.0\x64\mt.exe)
  3. run command
    mt.exe -manifest paraview.exe.manifest -outputresource: path-to-paraview.exe

After these operations, 2 issue above solved:

1. paraview5.8 can read file with non-ascii path
  2. pvpython can read file with non-ascii path

@ymjia Thanks for the feedback!

This fix won’t be needed in Paraview 5.9, but I’m glad it solved your immediate problem.

Thanks a lot for your instruction. I have tested on Win10 1909 version and ParaView 5.8 these 3 steps work indeed. There is my paraview.exe.manifest screenshot and 3rd command: mt.exe -manifest D:\paraview.exe.manifest -outputresource:D:\ParaView-5.8.0-Windows-Python3.7-msvc2015-64bit\bin\paraview.exe

I want to post the manifest code provided by Ym Jia, but there might be some thing wrong with my browser that the code can’t display entirely. So I can just post the screenshot if it can help.

1 Like

Please do not post image of code.
https://idownvotedbecau.se/imageofcode