Linux X issues

I used ParaView master with VTK master (after your branch was merged).

Thanks ! @shawn.waldon : could you do the same with Vall ?

vall test (again this is ParaView master with VTK master):

Fedora 28, upgraded from previous versions (installed as 24 I think).
Quadro K420
Driver version: 396.24 (installed from this ppa: https://negativo17.org/nvidia-driver/)
Kernel: 4.16.16-300
Xorg: 1.19.6
Qt: 5.9.2
Gnome: 3.28.2

Memory usage from nvidia-smi:
Before:
Global: 99MiB / 1996MiB
/usr/libexec/Xorg 32MiB
/usr/bin/gnome-shell 64MiB

After:
Global: 244MiB / 1996MiB
/usr/libexec/Xorg 125MiB
/usr/bin/gnome-shell 113MiB

edit: I will add that this is definitely the problem. When I went to run the test, I had to reboot vall since the display was locked (nvidia-smi before the reboot confirmed that all graphics memory was used up).

@Michael @Joachim_Pouderoux : since you do not reproduce the bug, could you post your own results here ?

@Joachim_Pouderoux I updated my results above with the ParaView and VTK SHA’s used.

Update: from watching the dashboard as it tests builds and trying nvidia-smi on it:

A typical build of PV master leaks 500+MB of graphics memory. So the branch is a major improvement even if it doesn’t fix everything.

+1 for an update VTK branch to pull in the improvement.

The MR is already up but another fix seems to break a single test test on ista. We are looking into it.
paraview/paraview!2511

Tylo seems to fail again, could you check it’s memory ?

shark test (ParaView master with VTK master (on July 1st)):

Xubuntu 18.04
GeForce GTX 660
4K Screen resolution
Driver version: 390.48
Kernel: 4.15.0-20
Xorg: 1.19.6
Qt: 5.9.5
Xfce 4.12 with Compositor ENABLED

Memory usage from nvidia-smi:
Before:
Global: 302MiB / 1999MiB

After:
Global: 582MiB / 1999MiB

LEAK!

PS: I did not compile PV with testing enable to build it faster so I use the following command line:
for i in {1..20}; do bin/paraview --test-script=/path_to_paraview_sources/Applications/ParaView/Testing/XML/UndoRedo2.xml --exit; done

For info I used a minimal ParaView build: TEST=OFF, MPI=OFF, Python=OFF, all_PLUGINS=OFF, Catalyst=OFF

If I turn off the Compositor (xfwm4-tweaks-settings):

NO LEAK!

Attached is a simple test that leaks.
simple.xml (695 Bytes)

Guys, after a rigourous round of tests, the issue is now always reproducible whatever the configuration.
I will keep investigating.

In the meantime, the different fixes that have landed on master recently should limit a little bit the leak.
In any case, if we want to have working buildbot we will need to restart X regularly until this is fixed.

I will manage luigi, but vall (and tylo?) will need to be managed from your side.

Fixed It !

Caused by a Qt Issue and an incorrect null parenting before deletion in pqMultiViewWidget.
See Qt issue and MR.

(I am so happy right now :grinning::rofl::smiley::smile::laughing:)

2 Likes

Congratulations! :+1:

Awesome! Thanks for persisting!

:see_no_evil: :tada::tada::tada:

:tada: :tada: :tada: