ParaView 5.9.1 still unusable

I’ve reported before that ParaView 5.9 can’t be used completely on macOS Mojave. For now, with upgrade to ParaView 5.9.1 and MacOS Catalina that’s still doesn’t work properly.

1. Open a VTK file or a complete project we see just empty screen:

and we need to expand the app to full screen mode to see the content:

1. All text labels are wrong scaled on the screen. Let’s compare the same ParaView project opened in ParaView 5.7:

and ParaView 5.9.1:

1. All text labels are wrong scaled on screenshots and that’s different to on the screen picture. Let’s compare the same ParaView project opened in ParaView 5.7:

and ParaView 5.9.1:

That’s so frustrating that the entire version 5.9.x is broken! And it’s the second release which we need to miss. The recent working release is 5.7. Does it mean the end of ParaView development and support?

I’m pretty sure that ParaView is working properly for MacOS with 5.9.0 and 5.9.1. Further, if you give us a bit of detail what you are doing, that would help. As I don’t see what you are doing, I tried a few tests myself.

Also, note that although the developers try to kssp backward compatibility with state files, this is not guaranteed. If you are opening a state file created in an earlier version, please remake it from scratch.

• MacOS 5.9.1 install from paraview.org. Catalina. Macbook Pro 13 Inch, 2020.
  • File/ Open/ Examples/ disk_out_ref.exo.
  • Clip. Paint by Temperature.
  • Back to disk_out_ref. Stream Tracer. Tube. Paint by Pres. (I then changed the preset).
  • Sources/ Text.

Try this, and if it is an issue, please post a screenshot. Here is a screencapture and screenshot of what I did:

Ok, the same issues, see below.

I need again to enter in the full screen mode to see the content:

• Clip. Paint by Temperature.

Do you mean “Temp” variable maybe?

• Back to disk_out_ref. Stream Tracer.

Steam Tracer is not available for the disk_out_ref.ex2

• Sources/ Text.

The same issue. This is the screen:

and when screenshot saving dialog is opened:

Also, I can’t save the screenshot while I have enough free space on my drive:

<class 'ModuleNotFoundError'>

ERROR: In /opt/glr/paraview/paraview-ci/build/superbuild/paraview/src/VTK/IO/Image/vtkPNGWriter.cxx, line 254

vtkPNGWriter (0x600000931f00): Unable to open file /test.png

ERROR: In /opt/glr/paraview/paraview-ci/build/superbuild/paraview/src/VTK/IO/Image/vtkImageWriter.cxx, line 481

vtkPNGWriter (0x600000931f00): Ran out of disk space; deleting file(s) already written

I’ve restarted ParaView 5.9.1 and now it’s asked me about access to the filter to save the screenshot. Now I’m able to save the screenshot and all the labels are broken on it:

Edit/ Reset to default settings? You shouldn’t have a white background (by default…)

Hate to say it, but another suggestion would be a new Mac? A 7 year Mac isn’t exactly young when doing graphical applications…

Ok, reseted. The app window is narrow by default and I can see the opened file now:

The same issue with screenshot saving. The app screen:

and the same screen with screenshot saving dialog:

This is the screenshot file content:

Do you mean ParaView 5.9.1 requires a supercomputer to just save a single 4-symbols text label to a file?:slight_smile: I can process really complex ParaView projects in ParaView 5.7 on the laptop. I’m waiting for Mac Pro M1X or M2 to upgrade but ParaView doesn’t work even on Intel machine for now…

Works perfectly on my intel machine. Open another topic if you have another issue.

@mwestphal Are you able to save a screenshot with the same font size as it’s visible on the screen?

No idea, I was just pointing out that if you have an issue which is different than the one you mention here, you should open another topic.

@mwestphal Yes, I have done it some months ago but it’s not fixed for now:
ParaView 5.9.0 on MacOS Catalina saves broken screenshot and animation

and
https://gitlab.kitware.com/paraview/paraview/-/issues/20496

That’s blocking issue for me because I still need to use and support Python 2.7 ParaView extensions while I can’t migrate to Python 3.8 ParaView builds.

This issue seems unrelated to Intel but specific to MacOS.

In any case, issues are priorized by impact and funding:

Do not hesitate to reach out !