Paraview error when opening .vtu file

Dear All,

I am currently getting an error when I try to open a specific .vtu file with ParaView:

ERROR: In /Users/kitware/dashboards/buildbot-slave/a64f5607/build/superbuild/paraview/src/VTK/IO/XMLParser/vtkXMLDataParser.cxx, line 654

vtkXMLDataParser (0x7ff36794ffb0): Error reading uncompressed binary data header. Read 0 of 4 bytes.

ERROR: In /Users/kitware/dashboards/buildbot-slave/a64f5607/build/superbuild/paraview/src/VTK/IO/XML/vtkXMLUnstructuredDataReader.cxx, line 632

vtkXMLUnstructuredGridReader (0x7ff367947f70): Cannot read cell offsets from Cells in piece 0 because the "offsets" array is not long enough.

The version of ParaView I am using is 5.8.0 in a macOS 10.15.5 (Catalina). I should add that I usually open similar files created in the exact same way with no issues.
I have attached the file in this link, if anyone would be able to try and/or take a look and shed some light on this issue.

Thank you very much in advance,
Sabrina

Hello Sabrina,

Have you found a solution to your problem by any chance? I am using ParaView 5.9.0 on Windows 10, and I went into the same issue.
Thank you!

Ethan

please share your data @E.Sun

Hi Ethan,

Not precisely but the problem went away when I reduced the size of the file (<2GB).

Hope this helps,
Sabrina

Hi,
My file is attached here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AZ3a6bmXK4fE9VHP_sBbAPE7oLitFuD1/view?usp=sharing
Thank you for your time!

Dear All,
I have the same issue with ParaView 5.10.0-RC2 on Windows 10.

ERROR: In C:\glr\builds\paraview\paraview-ci\build\superbuild\paraview\src\VTK\IO\XML\vtkXMLUnstructuredDataReader.cxx, line 680
vtkXMLUnstructuredGridReader (00000280A4697190): Cannot read cell offsets from Cells in piece 0 because the "offsets" array is not long enough.

Is there any methods to solve this problem?
I will be grateful for any help you can provide.

Job-netduino-2_0-10_0-C3D8-HT_Step-1_PART-GLOBALf001.vtu (146.7 KB)

Hi Freda, I got away with this issue by deleting some of the fields I don’t need. So my .vtu file size was maintained below 2GB, roughly.

Hi Ethan,

Thanks for your advice.
I’ve generate a small testing file. (146.7 KB)
But the problem still exists.

@mnpica you file is most likely malformed. How did you generate it ?

In the third line of the file (Job-netduino-2_0-10_0-C3D8-HT_Step-1_PART-GLOBALf001.vtu), the number of cells declared seems to be different.
In fact, it can be loaded by modifying as follows:

NumberOfCells=“208”

1 Like

I’m trying to convert Abaqus .ODB file into .vtu file via
https://github.com/Liujie-SYSU/odb2vtk

Is there any other solution for Abaqus file?
Thanks!

Thank you Kyochimi !!!
It works!

See this issue. Error reading large VTK files in the Windows version - #21 by vmajor