Paraview Glance error message on Windows 10

Hello,

Using ParaView 5.7.0 on Windows 10, following the instructions here

and using data from “example visualizations” from the help menu, I get the following error message during the save process:

ERROR: In C:\bbd\6519e7fe\build\superbuild\paraview\src\VTK\IO\Export\vtkJSONSceneExporter.cxx, line 282

vtkPVWebExporter (000002BD41AF07B0): Can not create directory C:\Projects\ParaViewGlance\look2.vtkjs

Am I missing something required to use Glance?. I’ve tried both Python 2 & 3 versions.

Thanks, Bob

Do you have write access to this directory ?

Hello,

Not the first one (C:\bbd…), that doesn’t exist on my machine, but yes the second one (C:\Projects…). In the second one I can open the raw ParaViewGlance.html file and view the demo data sets.

Thanks, Bob

Are you saying that you had an error message but none the less it worked?

Hi there,

No, It doesn’t work. I was just confirming that I have write access to the C:\Projects… directory because I was able to write the ParaViewGlance.html file to that directory, and that that file functions okay. Maybe I should have been more clear about distinguishing between the demo visualization data available from the ParaView help menu and the demo ParaViewGlance data linked to in the ParaViewGlance.html file. Neither data set is relevant to the issue though. I could have just created my own data in Paraview and then followed the instruction I linked too, to get the same error message.

Sorry if that wasn’t clear.

Thanks, Bob

Sorry to bump this topic, but I seem to be having the same issue:

To Replicate:

Exodus file: piston_params_out.e (300.6 KB)

ParaView State File: Piston_State.pvsm (214.6 KB)

Base ParaView Glance HTML file (downloaded (from here) at ~7:30 PM Mountain Time on July 1, 2020): ParaViewGlance.zip (1.9 MB)

Results in:

Generic Warning: In C:\bbd\ecd3383f\build\superbuild\paraview\src\Remoting\Export\vtkPVWebExporter.cxx, line 97
Failed to bundle vtkjs data file into HTML viewer

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files\ParaView\bin\Lib\site-packages\vtkmodules\web\vtkjs_helper.py", line 50, in addDataToViewer
    for line in srcHtml:
  File "C:\Program Files\ParaView\bin\lib\encodings\cp1252.py", line 23, in decode
    return codecs.charmap_decode(input,self.errors,decoding_table)[0]
UnicodeDecodeError: 'charmap' codec can't decode byte 0x81 in position 4981: character maps to <undefined>

Piston.html (2.3 MB)
Piston.vtkjs (70.0 KB)

The solution was posted here

1 Like

Hi Sebastien,

Thank you for the update.

Regards, Bob

2 Likes