ParaView on new Macs with M1 chips?

It doesn’t seem to work for me with 5.10.1 with M1/macOS 12.0 and would welcome any advice:

$ export VTK_DISABLE_VISRTX=1
$ export VTK_DISABLE_OSPRAY=1
$ file /Applications/ParaView-5.10.1-Intel.app/Contents/MacOS/paraview 
/Applications/ParaView-5.10.1-Intel.app/Contents/MacOS/paraview: Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64
$ /Applications/ParaView-5.10.1-Intel.app/Contents/MacOS/paraview 
(   2.971s) [paraview        ]    vtkPVRenderView.cxx:3242  WARN| vtkPVRenderView (0x7f857f0116d0): Refusing to enable OSPRay because it is not supported running in this configuration.

If you download and use the arm version of ParaView, it should work out of the box.

Thanks! Yes, indeed it does. Sorry, I should have mentioned I was doing that already. However, I was hoping the x86_64 PV would also work under Rosetta. This would have also resolved other issues I had with Anaconda, like missing PyQt5 and VTK on the arm64 distro (but available on the x86 distro). Anyway, I was able to install those pkgs on arm64 for now, so I’m good… until I’m not.

I just picked up a new M1 Macbook. The Kitware 5.10.1 arm64 works fine, and x86 also works fine under Rosetta 2. You can’t tell the difference. Note this is on 12.4, Monterey.

I would LOVE to resolve this - why does the x86 version work for you and not me? I just upgraded from Monterey 12.0 to 12.4 to match your OS. I get the same results as previously, i.e.:

$ /Applications/ParaView-5.10.1-Intel.app/Contents/MacOS/paraview
(   2.392s) [paraview        ]    vtkPVRenderView.cxx:3242  WARN| vtkPVRenderView (0x7fc7e99ee350): Refusing to enable OSPRay because it is not supported running in this configuration.

then I tried to set the env vars and re-run, but same result.

$ export VTK_DISABLE_VISRTX=1
$ export VTK_DISABLE_OSPRAY=1

I’ve got:

Apple M1 Pro:
  Chipset Model:	Apple M1 Pro
  Type:	GPU
  Bus:	Built-In
  Total Number of Cores:	16
  Vendor:	Apple (0x106b)
  Metal Family:	Supported, Metal GPUFamily Apple 7
$ file /Applications/ParaView-5.10.1-Intel.app/Contents/MacOS/paraview

/Applications/ParaView-5.10.1-Intel.app/Contents/MacOS/paraview: Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64

To add to the mystery (and frustration), I am able to run the x86 ParaView on a M1 (not M1Pro) on a Mac Mini. I do get the same OSPRay warning, but the GUI does display. (And I do not set the VTK_DISABLE* env vars). Also running Monterey 12.4

~/Downloads$ file /Applications/ParaView-5.10.1.app/Contents/MacOS/paraview
/Applications/ParaView-5.10.1.app/Contents/MacOS/paraview: Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64
~/Downloads$ /Applications/ParaView-5.10.1.app/Contents/MacOS/paraview
(   2.407s) [paraview        ]    vtkPVRenderView.cxx:3242  WARN| vtkPVRenderView (0x7fbf2e0f3120): Refusing to enable OSPRay because it is not supported running in this configuration.
Apple M1:

Chipset Model:	Apple M1
  Type:	GPU
  Bus:	Built-In
  Total Number of Cores:	8
  Vendor:	Apple (0x106b)
  Metal Family:	Supported, Metal GPUFamily Apple 7