ParaView - Scipy Module

Hello All,

I am trying to visualize my data stored in “.mat” files. Therefore, I am planning to use python scripting with “scipy” module, which has a “.mat” input-output functions. Since “scipy” module is not installed in Paraview, I could not be able to use it. (Scipy is installed in my python via pip). I have copied and pasted scipy module and pasted to “ProgramFiles(x64)/Paraview/bin/lib/the site_packages” . However, this time I faced the following error.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 20, in
File “”, line 3, in RequestData
File “C:/Program Files/ParaView 5.7.0-RC2-Windows-Python3.7-msvc2015-64bit\bin/Lib/site-packages\scipy_ *init* _.py”, line 119, in
from scipy._lib._ccallback import LowLevelCallable
File “C:/Program Files/ParaView 5.7.0-RC2-Windows-Python3.7-msvc2015-64bit\bin/Lib/site-packages\scipy_lib_ccallback.py”, line 1, in
from . import _ccallback_c
ImportError: cannot import name ‘_ccallback_c’ from 'scipy. *lib’ (C:/Program Files/ParaView 5.7.0-RC2-Windows-Python3.7-msvc2015-64bit\bin/Lib/site-packages\scipy_lib_ *init** .py)

My Computer Specs: Windows 10 (64 Bit), Python 3.7, Paraview 5.7
Is there any way to install external python modules into Paraview? If not how can I import mat files?

Thank you very much, in advance!

s̶c̶i̶p̶y̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶p̶r̶e̶s̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶P̶a̶r̶a̶V̶i̶e̶w̶ ̶5̶.̶7̶
Edit : scipy is NOT present in ParaView 5.7 on windows.

To answer your questions :

Is there any way to install external python modules into Paraview?

Not yet. It should be possible in 5.8 if all goes well

If not how can I import mat files?

Open them in matlab and save them into .vtk format

@mwestphal Are you sure with regards to scipy? I believe we are compiling scipy into the Linux and possibly Mac builds, but NOT the Windows one. I just checked 5.7.0-RC4 on windows (not present), and Linux (present). Also, I believe you want to import scipy, not scpipy. Anyway, scipy is not built on Windows because it requires the installation of a Fortran compiler.

Python 3.7.4 (tags/v3.7.4:e09359112e, Jul 8 2019, 20:34:20) [MSC v.1916 64 bit (AMD64)] on win32

from paraview.simple import *
import scipy as sp
File “”, line 1, in
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘scipy’
import scpipy as sp
File “”, line 1, in
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘scpipy’

You are right ! I spoke too fast. Not supported on windows sadly.

Thank you, all! I will use “.mat” to “.vtk” conversion.Thanks!

Have you sucessfully converted .mat file to .vtk file? If so, how? Using MATLAB itself?

Best regards,

Please read the topic :

Open them in matlab and save them into .vtk format
vtkwrite : Exports various 2D/3D data to ParaView in VTK file format - File Exchange - MATLAB Central

I was trying to avoid using paid software such as MATLAB =/

Is the current release version 5.8 already able to import external python modules into Paraview?