Paraviewweb install fails : monologue.js error?

Hi all ! I am trying to install Paraviewweb on my local machine on Debian and following tutorial found here but install fails at step
$ npm install monologue.js --save-dev with the following error :

~/paraviewweb/myWebProject$ npm install monologue.css --save-dev
npm ERR! code E404
npm ERR! 404 Not Found - GET https://registry.npmjs.org/monologue.css - Not found
npm ERR! 404 
npm ERR! 404  'monologue.css@*' is not in the npm registry.
npm ERR! 404 You should bug the author to publish it (or use the name yourself!)
npm ERR! 404 
npm ERR! 404 Note that you can also install from a
npm ERR! 404 tarball, folder, http url, or git url.

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR!     /home/xxxxxx/.npm/_logs/2020-12-14T22_45_01_423Z-debug.log

Any clue why ? thanks a lot
Charlie

What are you trying to do?

1. Develop a web application and use some React components of paraviewweb?
  2. Use ParaViewWeb to do some visualization by using Visualizer or Lite?

Bonjour Sebastien !

fair question !

• short answer : I wanted to get this app running, with my web client on a laptop + paraview backend running on a remote gpu-enabled server (so I can evaluate the usability / performance). So I guess this is only the Visualizer part ? that ships out of the box ?
  • longer answer is I would like to explore the possibility to develop a prototype functionaly similar to this vtk.js - that allows exploring by slices but applied to a polygon-type of object with millions of vectors/points per slice (instead of pictures as in the vtk.js demo). Any recommendation ? (besides calling the kitware hotline in Lyon :wink: )

thanks a lot
Charlie

Hi Charlie,

1. Visualizer is part of ParaView binary, so you can simply run it without building anything. Ideally you will want to use our pre-built docker image to streamline such deployment. See that thread for more informations and/or guide.

2. vtk.js is the library to use either for doing local rendering or remote rendering. No need to use the paraviewweb repo for any of it. You can see an example on how you can build your own app using vtk or paraview web here.

Good luck,

Seb

Thank you Sebastien, very clear (there so many ways). I will dig in more details on vtk.js used for remote rendering as you already pointed here I guess, right ?
Thanks a lot
Charlie

Sounds good…

hi Sébastien … I DID try :wink: however it didn’t go very far

Charlie