Problem running ParaView-5.5.2-Qt5 on Ubuntu 16.04

Dinushika
Although this option usually works great, if I understand right, it’s only suitable for very small meshes because it forces the software rendering that is very slow, so it’s considered as test but not complete solution. IMHO, to gain the normal performance you will need to solve the problem with graphics compatibility. Maybe, in some cases, the better way is to use ParaView 5.2 that is more “graphics friendly” than later versions (it works with acceptable performance on real meshes via FreeRDP with Windows-7 and nVidia Quadro card while later versions are not functional in this configuration because of very old OpenGL API in Windows RDP, IIRC).

1 Like

Thank you Andrew. I’ll give a try with Paraview 5.2 and as well as the windows. I’m new to this area and still learning. Therefore thank you very much for the assistance.

VirtualBox does not have full 3D acceleration implemented for linux.
The “guest additions” code is ported from some unix (BSD?), and limited 3D can only be rendered in top-most box; which is generally suitable for older doom-like games, not for work. In any other case you will have problems from UI disappearing under the box, to total display corruption.
According to Oracle, it will not improve things in nearest feature (i.e. never), because their coding priorities lie somewhere in Solaris area.

Disable 3D acceleration completely. After that ParaView will run in software rendering mode… something will be missing, but in general it is fine for editing the stack. Perform rendering on system with direct access to 3D hardware.

BTW, in VMWare the situation is not better.

P.S.
You can wonder, why --mesa option works?
Well, it is the same as “not using” VBox 3D acceleration. In the info you can see that while the 3D vendor is VMware (! under VBox !), the engine is actually llvmpipe:
“llvmpipe driver is a software rasterizer that uses LLVM to do runtime code generation… It’s the fastest software rasterizer for Mesa”

1 Like

ParaView, even new versions, should work correctly on any more or less modern popular OS with updated graphics drivers (Ubuntu, Windows 7). For example, it works without graphics issues on Ubuntu 14.04 witn nVidia 1060 and official nVidia proprietary driver. So you dont need indeed Windows.

1 Like

Referring back to my original post in this chain … it didn’t work for me and I have the latest GPU and drivers. I therefore decided to switch to Windows 10.

1 Like

HarryvL
Sorry, but you said you run it in virtual machine. As it said in the topic, VMs may easily not support graphics correctly/fully. ParaView uses VM functions, not native latest driver you have on your machine. If you want to use it in Linux, you need to have native Linux distribution installed.

Also, in some rare cases, compatibility problems may arise with any configuration and software. But, usually, ParaView works OK provided you use native installation (not VM) and new video drivers, and there is no conflict of various video adapters in your system (for example, chipset/dedicated video in a laptop).

1 Like