[Superbuild] paraviewpluginsexternal project usage

Using ParaView-superbuild master, I’m struggling to use paraviewpluginsexternal project.

I’ve configured it this way :
cmake -DENABLE_paraviewpluginsexternal=ON -Dparaview_PLUGINS_EXTERNAL=MyPlugin -Dparaview_PLUGIN_MyPlugin_PATH=/path/to/my/plugin

However the plugin is not built.

I’ve taken a look into paraview itself, a few cmake variables have been set without any effect. I tried doing the same in ParaView directly without much more success.

So, how to use this superbuild project ? How to build external plugin with ParaView automatically ?

The ParaView-side of the equation is PARAVIEW_EXTERNAL_PLUGIN_DIRS. What is the value of it in ParaView’s build tree?

On the ParaView side, i see the following :

PARAVIEW_BUILD_PLUGIN_MyPlugin:BOOL=ON
PARAVIEW_EXTERNAL_PLUGIN_DIRS:STRING=/path/to/My/Plugin
PARAVIEW_EXTRA_EXTERNAL_PLUGINS:STRING=

No MyPlugin shows up in the plugin part of the cmake configuration and it has not been built.

You should see this:

message(STATUS "Processing external plugins under '${extra_dir}'")

This then looks for plugin.cmake files under the indicated directory.

I do see the
-- Processing external plugins under '/path/to/my/plugin/'

But then paraview_build does not contain an ExternalPlugins directory.

Looks like I was missing a plugin.cmake in the indicated directory.

Imho, this should work without a plugin.cmake file.

It is not able to build the Filter example plugin of ParaView, even with a plugin.cmake file added.

[glow@snowman ~/work/paraview/paraview_build]$ ninja
[2/52] Building CXX object ExternalPlugins/Filter/CMakeFiles/SMMyElevation.dir/vtkMyElevationFilterClientServer.cxx.o
FAILED: ExternalPlugins/Filter/CMakeFiles/SMMyElevation.dir/vtkMyElevationFilterClientServer.cxx.o 
/usr/bin/c++  -DH5_BUILT_AS_DYNAMIC_LIB -DSMMyElevation_EXPORTS -I. -I/home/glow/work/vtkSandBox/Filter -IExternalPlugins/Filter -IVTK/Utilities/KWSys -IVTK/ThirdParty/jsoncpp/vtkjsoncpp/json -I/home/glow/work/paraview/paraview/VTK/ThirdParty/exodusII/vtkexodusII/include -IVTK/ThirdParty/exodusII/vtkexodusII/include -IVTK/ThirdParty/hdf5/vtkhdf5/src -I/home/glow/work/paraview/paraview/VTK/ThirdParty/hdf5/vtkhdf5/src -IVTK/ThirdParty/hdf5/vtkhdf5/hl/src -I/home/glow/work/paraview/paraview/VTK/ThirdParty/hdf5/vtkhdf5/hl/src -Wall -Wextra -Wshadow -Woverloaded-virtual -Wno-deprecated -Wno-strict-overflow -Wno-array-bounds -Wunreachable-code  -g -fPIC   -std=gnu++11 -MD -MT ExternalPlugins/Filter/CMakeFiles/SMMyElevation.dir/vtkMyElevationFilterClientServer.cxx.o -MF ExternalPlugins/Filter/CMakeFiles/SMMyElevation.dir/vtkMyElevationFilterClientServer.cxx.o.d -o ExternalPlugins/Filter/CMakeFiles/SMMyElevation.dir/vtkMyElevationFilterClientServer.cxx.o -c ExternalPlugins/Filter/vtkMyElevationFilterClientServer.cxx
In file included from ExternalPlugins/Filter/vtkMyElevationFilterClientServer.cxx:5:
/home/glow/work/vtkSandBox/Filter/vtkMyElevationFilter.h:26:10: fatal error: vtkElevationFilter.h: No such file or directory
 #include "vtkElevationFilter.h"
          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
[3/52] Building CXX object ExternalPlugins/Filter/CMakeFiles/SMMyElevation.dir/SMMyElevation_Plugin.cxx.o
FAILED: ExternalPlugins/Filter/CMakeFiles/SMMyElevation.dir/SMMyElevation_Plugin.cxx.o 
/usr/bin/c++  -DH5_BUILT_AS_DYNAMIC_LIB -DSMMyElevation_EXPORTS -I. -I/home/glow/work/vtkSandBox/Filter -IExternalPlugins/Filter -IVTK/Utilities/KWSys -IVTK/ThirdParty/jsoncpp/vtkjsoncpp/json -I/home/glow/work/paraview/paraview/VTK/ThirdParty/exodusII/vtkexodusII/include -IVTK/ThirdParty/exodusII/vtkexodusII/include -IVTK/ThirdParty/hdf5/vtkhdf5/src -I/home/glow/work/paraview/paraview/VTK/ThirdParty/hdf5/vtkhdf5/src -IVTK/ThirdParty/hdf5/vtkhdf5/hl/src -I/home/glow/work/paraview/paraview/VTK/ThirdParty/hdf5/vtkhdf5/hl/src -Wall -Wextra -Wshadow -Woverloaded-virtual -Wno-deprecated -Wno-strict-overflow -Wno-array-bounds -Wunreachable-code  -g -fPIC   -std=gnu++11 -MD -MT ExternalPlugins/Filter/CMakeFiles/SMMyElevation.dir/SMMyElevation_Plugin.cxx.o -MF ExternalPlugins/Filter/CMakeFiles/SMMyElevation.dir/SMMyElevation_Plugin.cxx.o.d -o ExternalPlugins/Filter/CMakeFiles/SMMyElevation.dir/SMMyElevation_Plugin.cxx.o -c ExternalPlugins/Filter/SMMyElevation_Plugin.cxx
In file included from ExternalPlugins/Filter/SMMyElevation_Plugin.cxx:32:
ExternalPlugins/Filter/SMMyElevation_Plugin.h:43:10: fatal error: vtkConfigure.h: No such file or directory
 #include "vtkConfigure.h"
          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
[4/52] Building CXX object ExternalPlugins/Filter/CMakeFiles/SMMyElevation.dir/SMMyElevationInit.cxx.o
FAILED: ExternalPlugins/Filter/CMakeFiles/SMMyElevation.dir/SMMyElevationInit.cxx.o 
/usr/bin/c++  -DH5_BUILT_AS_DYNAMIC_LIB -DSMMyElevation_EXPORTS -I. -I/home/glow/work/vtkSandBox/Filter -IExternalPlugins/Filter -IVTK/Utilities/KWSys -IVTK/ThirdParty/jsoncpp/vtkjsoncpp/json -I/home/glow/work/paraview/paraview/VTK/ThirdParty/exodusII/vtkexodusII/include -IVTK/ThirdParty/exodusII/vtkexodusII/include -IVTK/ThirdParty/hdf5/vtkhdf5/src -I/home/glow/work/paraview/paraview/VTK/ThirdParty/hdf5/vtkhdf5/src -IVTK/ThirdParty/hdf5/vtkhdf5/hl/src -I/home/glow/work/paraview/paraview/VTK/ThirdParty/hdf5/vtkhdf5/hl/src -Wall -Wextra -Wshadow -Woverloaded-virtual -Wno-deprecated -Wno-strict-overflow -Wno-array-bounds -Wunreachable-code  -g -fPIC   -std=gnu++11 -MD -MT ExternalPlugins/Filter/CMakeFiles/SMMyElevation.dir/SMMyElevationInit.cxx.o -MF ExternalPlugins/Filter/CMakeFiles/SMMyElevation.dir/SMMyElevationInit.cxx.o.d -o ExternalPlugins/Filter/CMakeFiles/SMMyElevation.dir/SMMyElevationInit.cxx.o -c ExternalPlugins/Filter/SMMyElevationInit.cxx
ExternalPlugins/Filter/SMMyElevationInit.cxx:11:10: fatal error: vtkClientServerInterpreter.h: No such file or directory
 #include "vtkClientServerInterpreter.h"
          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
[5/52] Building CXX object ExternalPlugins/Filter/CMakeFiles/SMMyElevation.dir/vtkMyElevationFilter.cxx.o
FAILED: ExternalPlugins/Filter/CMakeFiles/SMMyElevation.dir/vtkMyElevationFilter.cxx.o 
/usr/bin/c++  -DH5_BUILT_AS_DYNAMIC_LIB -DSMMyElevation_EXPORTS -I. -I/home/glow/work/vtkSandBox/Filter -IExternalPlugins/Filter -IVTK/Utilities/KWSys -IVTK/ThirdParty/jsoncpp/vtkjsoncpp/json -I/home/glow/work/paraview/paraview/VTK/ThirdParty/exodusII/vtkexodusII/include -IVTK/ThirdParty/exodusII/vtkexodusII/include -IVTK/ThirdParty/hdf5/vtkhdf5/src -I/home/glow/work/paraview/paraview/VTK/ThirdParty/hdf5/vtkhdf5/src -IVTK/ThirdParty/hdf5/vtkhdf5/hl/src -I/home/glow/work/paraview/paraview/VTK/ThirdParty/hdf5/vtkhdf5/hl/src -Wall -Wextra -Wshadow -Woverloaded-virtual -Wno-deprecated -Wno-strict-overflow -Wno-array-bounds -Wunreachable-code  -g -fPIC   -std=gnu++11 -MD -MT ExternalPlugins/Filter/CMakeFiles/SMMyElevation.dir/vtkMyElevationFilter.cxx.o -MF ExternalPlugins/Filter/CMakeFiles/SMMyElevation.dir/vtkMyElevationFilter.cxx.o.d -o ExternalPlugins/Filter/CMakeFiles/SMMyElevation.dir/vtkMyElevationFilter.cxx.o -c /home/glow/work/vtkSandBox/Filter/vtkMyElevationFilter.cxx
In file included from /home/glow/work/vtkSandBox/Filter/vtkMyElevationFilter.cxx:15:
/home/glow/work/vtkSandBox/Filter/vtkMyElevationFilter.h:26:10: fatal error: vtkElevationFilter.h: No such file or directory
 #include "vtkElevationFilter.h"
          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.

It would be nice if you could provide a compatible plugin.

It’s probably out-of-date. I’ll make sure to look at it during the update to the new module system. Where does that filter live? Inside ParaView?

Example/Plugins in the paraview sources contain many example plugins which builds perfectly on their own. I was not able to build any of them using PARAVIEW_EXTERNAL_PLUGIN_DIRS, even XML only plugins.

I’m just trying to find a working plugin here.

That sounds OK to me. Building a plugin as part of ParaView just requires a plugin.cmake so ParaView’s build can offer an option to build it or not as part of the CMake code. A standalone plugin doesn’t need such things because it’s always going to build the plugin. Documentation could be improved (though it’ll happen due to the new module system anyways).

@ben.boeckel: I’m not talking about the plugin.cmake file here, i have other errors when building with external plugin feature. Can you do the following :

• copy a plugin containing a plugin.cmake somewhere
  • compile paraview with PARAVIEW_EXTERNAL_PLUGIN_DIRS pointing to this plugin

If that works for you, please share the working plugin.

The superbuild does it for vortexfinder2 which is part of the binaries.

Still not working. I have opened an issue.
https://gitlab.kitware.com/paraview/paraview/issues/18608

not an issue, the CMakeLists.txt must contain something like

IF (ParaView_SOURCE_DIR)
  INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES( ${VTK_INCLUDE_DIRS} )
ELSE (ParaView_SOURCE_DIR)
  FIND_PACKAGE(ParaView REQUIRED)
  INCLUDE(${PARAVIEW_USE_FILE})
ENDIF (ParaView_SOURCE_DIR)

Hi @mwestphal, I’m experiencing the same issue. My configuration is

cmake -make \
	-DENABLE_paraviewpluginsexternal=ON \
	-Dparaview_PLUGINS_AUTOLOAD=PhastaSyncIOReader \
	-Dparaview_PLUGINS_EXTERNAL=PhastaSyncIOReader \
	-Dparaview_PLUGIN_PhastaSyncIOReader_PATH=/home/npillai2/ParaViewSyncIOReaderPlugin \
	-DSUPERBUILD_PROJECT_PARALLELISM=2 \
	-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local/usrapps/iabolotn/install/paraview_5.8.0 \
      ../paraview-superbuild 

when adding the following

IF (ParaView_SOURCE_DIR)
  INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES( ${VTK_INCLUDE_DIRS} )
ELSE (ParaView_SOURCE_DIR)
  FIND_PACKAGE(ParaView REQUIRED)
  INCLUDE(${PARAVIEW_USE_FILE})
ENDIF (ParaView_SOURCE_DIR)

to the end of my CMakeLists.txt (lines 375-380) [which, by the way, is not located in the “build” directory, only the parent “paraview-superbuild”] , I get this error if I go through ccmake

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:378 (FIND_PACKAGE):
   By not providing "FindParaView.cmake" in CMAKE_MODULE_PATH this project has
   asked CMake to find a package configuration file provided by "ParaView",
   but CMake did not find one.

Could not find a package configuration file provided by "ParaView" with any
   of the following names:

ParaViewConfig.cmake
     paraview-config.cmake

Add the installation prefix of "ParaView" to CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH or set
   "ParaView_DIR" to a directory containing one of the above files.  If
   "ParaView" provides a separate development package or SDK, be sure it has
   been installed.

This is a little confusing to me as usually the parent directory with whatever I get from github has those files (i.e. if it’s not the superbuild, e.g. via “git clone https://gitlab.kitware.com/paraview/paraview.git”) but the superbuild works so many layers of magic, I have no idea where those files are.

Am I putting the commands in the right place? And if not, how should I go about resolving this issue?

please open your own thread.