Visualizations of water

Try to use “Clip” instead of “Threshold” and select “Scalar” for the clip type.
You should also use “Extract surface” instead of “Extract region surface”.
Let me know if it is better.

Yes, using a scalar-clip gives the same surface as a contour extraction. Nice. A possibility for OpenFOAM might be to create a new field, that is equal to the volume fraction of water everywhere, but the boundary adjacent cells. For those cells, set it to 0.5 if the water volume fraction is > 0.5. Then extract 0.5 isosurface of this field. Might try it later today.

Dear all, here is a link to a new vtp that contains both the interface surface but also the bulk of the water below. Additionally, the velocity and water volume fraction fields are present.

A quick render using a white background, the “water” material, default light kit settings, OSP raytracer.

6 Likes

Thanks a lot for sharing, it looks great!

This looks quite interesting I don’t think so Tecplot, or
Ansys EnSight has this much capabilities or maybe I din’t explored those software much.
But, I’m gonna look in this, although my flow is low velocity, laminar flow, I may not have these sort of splashing around effect.
Thanks for sharing files as well!

One more suggestion - We recently added a fluid mapper to VTK. It is not exposed in ParaView yet but it should not be too hard to do so as a new representation.

Here is a screenshot of the mapper in action showing the fluid rendering as water:

1 Like

Hi, I try to follow the same steps for visualizing the water surface.
However, the quality is not that great compare to your rendered results.
It seems more transparent in my case.

Did I miss any step?

1. Use “Clip” to select a Scalar value for alpha.water.
  2. Apply “Extract Surface” to the “Clip” volume
  3. Apply “Generate surface normals” to the “Extract Surface”
  4. Select the material of the “Generate surface normals” to water
  5. Enable ray tracing with OSPRay pathtracer and Sample per pixels = 200
1 Like

Hi! It’s been a while since I did that one, but I think your summary is correct!

Dear all, I get reports from pCloud that the dataset I shared gets a 1-10 downloads per week, which is more than I could imagine :slight_smile: . In this light, I would like to point out that the data is provided via the CC BY 4.0 license. Also, you may want to take a look at the full dataset from our study: https://doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.12593480.v4
In particular, it includes series of vtk files with the evolution of the air-water interface. Can be used to create cool animations :smiley:

1 Like

This is a really cool dataset, thanks for sharing Timofey. Messed around with it real quick testing out some of the new 5.9 OSPRay features.

This is just a quick 5 mins hack at it using the water velocity with a blue->white color gradient, but this simulation could be visualized in a REALLY cool way with some time spent setting it up.

@timofeymukha for that link you provided to the whole dataset. Are the files the full water tank like this one? Or just the top surface?

1 Like

There is both. There are OpenFOAM cases on grids with varying density. These can be opened in Paraview to get the whole simulation domain, and a snapshot of the interface can be extracted along with the surrounding water, using the Clip function, as discussed above. But there is also an archive with a time-series of vtk files, which store the interface only. These can be used for an animation.

Hey,
sorry, i know its an old topic, but my problem is very similar to the problems in the topic.
I would like to postprocess water, with “transparent” volume. To do that, i do a clip (Mode Scalar), Extract Surface and Generate Normals with PBR_Water. Ray Tracing (OSPRay raycaster) is enabled with 200 Samplings per Pixel. My water looks blue and not transparent like yours.
How do i set transparent to it ?

Best regards
Kai

FYI @timothee.chabat

1 Like

@Kai_himself the PBR_Water is a “water” texture that I created, and is essentially just putting an image of water at all of your surface cells. To get something transparent, either mess with the glass materials, or don’t use a material and just adjust color and opacity values.

Hope that helps

1 Like

Visualization of waves using paraview 5.9.1 !

Details: use PBR [material roughness=0, metallic=0.15] and play around with the color!

full video: Wave propagation rendering - YouTube

3 Likes

Joe, that’s a great video! Thanks for sharing. Could feature this video on paraview.org/gallery?

Hello Corry,

Thanks a lot! Please feel free to share the video! Would be a plus if I can add my affiliation on a first frame

kind regards,
Joe

Great, Joe! I’ll PM you with details.

1 Like

Hi all,

Here is another example of a wave basin with a regular wave field

3 Likes

Hello,
thanks a lot for sharing this.

How do you set the level of light reflection on the water surface, especially using the Glass_Water material ?

but this could also be:

How do you set no reflection of light on the surfaces surrounding the water ?

regards,
Olivier