About high order non-traditional Lagrange Finite Element

Does paraview support high order non-traditional Lagrange Finite Element? For example, no solution are saved on vertices, or edge points, or face points, solutions are saved on volume Lagrange points only(All control points are in the volume). Thanks in advance.

@cfdbooks Welcome to the community. It supports lagrange type of dataset at lobatto points.

For example, no solution are saved on vertices, or edge points, or face points, solutions are saved on volume Lagrange points only(All control points are in the volume)

You would have to interpolate your data to these points and then plot in Lagrange Hexahedron cell type. I’m assuming you have some data at like Legendre points, make it Lobatto by interpolating from those Legendre points and then write your data.

Thanks. Is there any reference on high order Lagrange Hexahedron cell, especially the points order?

It was actually really difficult to get the point order, but you could check out this post below in the comment section.

Basically from the comments there is a link to blog post, in the blog post’s comments section you get an idea where the ordering, you’ll have to go through the C++ code for that at this link:
https://gitlab.kitware.com/nick.laurenson/vtk/blob/d8aa5b89c622cf04b3322112fda420afc9d2a16d/Common/DataModel/vtkLagrangeHexahedron.cxx

search for int vtkLagrangeHexahedron::PointIndexFromIJK(int i, int j, int k, const int* order)

Giving you a headsup, there are a few bugs in the viewer like below:

Segmentation fault while Visualizing/Creating contours,slices.

ParaView Support

Just out of curiosity may I know what you are working with or on?

Thanks. I am working on Flux Reconstruction method of CFD.

Hello !
I’m also working on high order element, only testing with quad for the moment.
When I try to create Lagrange Quadrilaterals from the GUI with the “Unstructured Cell Types” tool in the v5.6, I only get high order cells with uniform point spacing.
@vrkssai : You talk about Lobatto points, is there something I missed in order to get this spacing ?
Thank you !

1 Like