About Microsoft C++ exception: std::out_of_range

I built ParaView on Windows using MSVC and Ninja. When I ran it in debug mode, I noticed there are a lot of exceptions. If I have objects in the scene and rotate my camera, I will get a lot of

Exception thrown at 0x00007FFE2F184FD9 in paraview.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: std::out_of_range at memory location 0x000000283C0F4BB0.

And occasionally get
Exception thrown at 0x00007FFE2F184FD9 in paraview.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: bool at memory location 0x000000283C0F680B.

Are these exceptions safe to ignore? Why can’t we fix them?

Thanks,
Cam
ms debugger exceptions2

Definitely unexpected. I have a MSVC + Ninja build here and there is no exception at all. Open an issue ?

Please clarity if your debugger is catching exceptions or if they are causing the ParaView to crash.

Also make sure your environment has the right Qt in your PATH.

Hi Cory,

It was the Microsoft debugger catching those exceptions. These exceptions are not fatal as the the application doesn’t crash.

Hi Cory and Mathieu,

I have attached a GIF in the original post.

Looks like you are using Visual Studio Code. In the Debug controls under the Breakpoints section, you should be able to catch C++ exceptions when thrown. When you do that, you’ll see that an exception is thrown in vtkPVDataDeliveryManagerInternals::GetDeliveredDataObject(), but it is caught and handled properly. That might be what you are seeing.

As long as the exception is caught and handled, there is no problem to be fixed.

1 Like