- Is it a custom build of ParaView or a release ? Please tell me which version (master, 5.9.1, etc)
No, I was using prebuilt packages downloaded from paraview website. Both the gui version 5.9.1-MPI-Linux and the headless version osmesa-MPI-Linux packages show this error. This error may also appear in the gui window, before saving the sequence.
- Do you use MPI ? If yes how many ranks ?
Not using MPI. The ‘Auto MPI’ option in gui settings is also turned off. multi-threading is enabled by default.
- Do you use pvserver, or do you just use the regular GUI ?
I used both regular GUI and the headless pvbatch scripts. This error happens in both cases.
- What is (more or less) the size of your scene in the RAM ? For your information you can have this information in the “Memory Inspecter” of ParaView
The snapshot I attached above takes 6.27GB of memory, shown by ‘memory inspector’.
The minimal scene I saw this error (not reproducible) involves the following steps:
- create a ‘Programmable Source: Double Helix’ as described by the paraview wiki: https://www.paraview.org/Wiki/Python_Programmable_Filter
- Apply ‘tube’ filter to the double helix, all parameters default
- add ‘camera orbiting’ from the ‘animation view’
- add ‘annotate Time Filter’
The most annoying part of this error is that it is very frequent but I cannot find a combination of scenes and operations to reliably reproduce it.
Does paraview support interfacing to some external ray tracing tools? I tried to export the scene to povray script but it didn’t work very well.