Bad performance of Paraview while rendering .MED files

Hello,

Greetings. I have been trying to use paraview to visualize Code_Aster result files (in .med or .rmed format) but the performance is not too good. The rotations and manipulation of mesh is slow. The performance is further degraded if one uses transparency (by using right click> Set Block Opacity to like 0.5)

Also, Enabling opacity mapping through Color Map Editor degrades performance.

Consequently investigation of results is not easy.

I attach a sample .med file for looking into this issue here: link

I am using the latest version of Paraview (6.2) on Ubuntu 26.04 with Nvidia Quadro RTX 4000 GPU.

Thanks and Regards

Anirudh Nehra

I’m unable to reproduce using ParaView 6.2.0-RC1 , performance is great even with transparency.

Please share the content of Help → About

Hello,

This is the output

Client Information:
Version: 6.2.0-RC1
VTK Version: 9.7.0
Qt Version: 6.9.0
vtkIdType size: 64bits
Embedded Python: On
Python Library Path: /home/anirudh/Downloads/ParaView-6.2.0-RC1-MPI-Linux-Python3.12-x86_64/lib/python3.12
Python Library Version: 3.12.7 (main, Jul 27 2026, 20:10:30) [GCC 10.3.1 20210422 (Red Hat 10.3.1-1)]
Python Numpy Support: On
Python Numpy Path: /home/anirudh/Downloads/ParaView-6.2.0-RC1-MPI-Linux-Python3.12-x86_64/lib/python3.12/site-packages/numpy
Python Numpy Version: 1.26.4
Python Matplotlib Support: On
Python Matplotlib Path: /home/anirudh/Downloads/ParaView-6.2.0-RC1-MPI-Linux-Python3.12-x86_64/lib/python3.12/site-packages/matplotlib
Python Matplotlib Version: 3.7.2
Python Testing: Off
MPI Enabled: On
ParaView Build ID: superbuild e6c411ec882a371cebf2aa87106a06bc355eb233 (!1358)
Disable Registry: Off
Test Directory:
Data Directory:
SMP Backend: TBB
SMP Max Number of Threads: 20
OpenGL Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL Version: 3.2.0 NVIDIA 595.91.07
OpenGL Renderer: Quadro RTX 4000/PCIe/SSE2
Accelerated filters overrides available: No

Connection Information:
Remote Connection: No

I am using ubuntu 26.04. The default version gives an error like wayland plugin missing. I also have installed cinnamon DE. But performance is not good on either DEs. Although using Nvidia RTX Quadro 4000. When transparency is turned on(or Enable Opacity mapping for surfaces, the rotation and zoom pan are choppy)

Regards

Anirudh

Should definitely be able to render your data withtout issue.

Please try with the paraview binary from https://www.paraview.org/download/

Hi,

Thank you for reply.

I think the issue is with Nvidia graphics card and Ubuntu 26.04. The performance is a bit better on default ubuntu using Wayland. But Cinnnamon using X11 is indeed bad.

I get better performance on my old laptop with Ubuntu 24.04 with 3GB graphics card. Could you share your computer specs and OS details?

Regards

You mean my own ? Any decent nvidia/amd gpu + any cpu should be able to render your data.

I’m using ArchLinux with ParaView binary release.