Best Practice For Plotting Streamlines Around a Cylinder

Thanks a lot. I will have a look.

You are welcome.

Here is the paraview statefile I used
But you’ll have to wait for the change to be propagated to ParaView master or build ParaView from source using my VTK branch.

Dan

streamlines.pvsm (490 KB)

2 Likes

By the way, ParaView master is always available as binary installs on the paraview.org website. Go to downloads, and change “Version” to Nightly.

1 Like

I believe that @danlipsa change are not available in the nightlies nor in master since his VTK branch is not even merged in VTK yet.

Hello Everyone,
Thanks a lot for the help!
I downloaded the new Paraview 5.8 but still got the same error. Has the change been pushed to the VTK branch? If not, is there any timeline?

Thanks a lot once again.
Best wishes,

João

It should be in the nightlies :
https://www.paraview.org/download/

Dear Mathieu,
Thanks a lot for the answer
I downloaded the ParaView 5.8 for windows 10.
I tried to run the data I provided but still got the same error (related to data not being on xy plane). I used the stateFile provided by Dan Lipsa above. Can you confirm that it has been merged?
Thanks a lot for all the help!

Best wishes,
João

Did you download a nightly like this one :
https://www.paraview.org/paraview-downloads/download.php?submit=Download&version=nightly&type=binary&os=Windows&downloadFile=ParaView-latest-Windows-Python3.7-msvc2015-64bit.exe

?

Dear Mathieu,
Yes, exactly that one!
thanks a lot.

Best wishes,

João

I confirm that this nightly release contains the fix from @danlipsa

1 Like

I tried again, but still got errors. I used the data I provided before and the stateFile by @danlipsa

The error log is:
errors_paraview.txt (1.6 KB)

ERROR: In C:\bbd\ecd3383f\build\superbuild\paraview\src\VTK\Filters\FlowPaths\vtkEvenlySpacedStreamlines2D.cxx, line 125
vtkEvenlySpacedStreamlines2D (000001B47CA1A080): vtkEvenlySpacedStreamlines2D does not support planes not aligned with XY.

ERROR: In C:\bbd\ecd3383f\build\superbuild\paraview\src\VTK\Common\ExecutionModel\vtkExecutive.cxx, line 753
vtkPVCompositeDataPipeline (000001B47CB8F480): Algorithm vtkEvenlySpacedStreamlines2D(000001B47CA1A080) returned failure for request: vtkInformation (000001B47E072120)
  Debug: Off
  Modified Time: 1923613
  Reference Count: 1
  Registered Events: (none)
  Request: REQUEST_DATA
  FORWARD_DIRECTION: 0
  ALGORITHM_AFTER_FORWARD: 1
  FROM_OUTPUT_PORT: 0

ERROR: In C:\bbd\ecd3383f\build\superbuild\paraview\src\VTK\Common\ExecutionModel\vtkExecutive.cxx, line 753
vtkCompositeDataPipeline (000001B47D76FA30): Algorithm vtkPVGeometryFilter(000001B47D94BF20) returned failure for request: vtkInformation (000001B47E2277A0)
  Modified Time: 1923657
  Request: REQUEST_DATA_OBJECT

vtkCompositeDataPipeline (000001B47D76FA30): Algorithm vtkPVGeometryFilter(000001B47D94BF20) returned failure for request: vtkInformation (000001B47E2277A0)
  Modified Time: 1923657
  Request: REQUEST_DATA_OBJECT

Make sure you use nightly not 5.8.0. I just tried and works fine.
There are a number of warnings

vtkMath.cxx:1314 WARN| Unable to factor linear system

but those don’t seem to affect the result.

2 Likes

Worked perfectly! Thanks a lot.
Last question, will the Nightly version be merged on the standard distribution?
Thanks a lot.

1 Like

It is going to be picked up by the next ParaView release about 6 months from now.

1 Like