Calling Render Seems to Crash pvpython

So I have just installed ParaView, and decided to follow the tutorial Introduction to Paraview, on the official documentation for ParaView. Everything works fine, until I open pvpython 5.9.0, and run the following:

from paraview.simple import *
Sphere()
Show()
Render()

The display just crashes with no bug reports, and I have no idea why. It seems to work fine when I’m working using the User Interface, but only crashes when I’m using the python shell.

Short answer: use Interact() instead of Render(). Press q to quit.

Long Answer: It is not crashed, just unresponding and your OS thinks it is crashed because of that. This is expected behavior with pvpython.

I just tested on Linux, and the four commands listed worked fine… RC2…

@suoarski is confusing a non responding window with a crash. The window is indeed non responsive after a Render().

Again, on my setup (Linux, 5.9.0-RC2), the following commands do NOT crash and do NOT stop responding. Note also that the commands below are slightly incomplete. You don’t have a handle to the sphere.

from paraview.simple import *
Sphere()
Show()
Render()
Hide()
Clip()
Show()
Render()

Thank you, that does work, to some extent. After pressing ‘q’, the window becomes unresponsive afterwards. The terminal still works, and the display continues working once I call Interact() again. I guess I was thrown off by the unresponsive window.

Yeh, after messing around with it, the shell works as usual, but the display goes unresponsive (On Windows 10) whenever it’s not currently in Interact() mode. I guess it could just be ignored, although it’s something that might be worth debugging eventually.

The “unresponsive window” things is Microsoft Windows specific and not really an issue.

Not really “worth debugging” as we know exactly what causes this. The window is not answering any of the window manager attempt to communicate with it and this is how it was designed.

This was alreaddy answered by @utkarsh.ayachit in 2014 here: