Can I run an in-situ catalyst on a server and view the result remotely from my local desktop?

(Dawei Mu) #1

Dear all,

I am wondering may I run an in-situ catalyst program on a server and view the result remotely from my local desktop?

Thank you in advance,

Dawei

(Nicolas Vuaille) #2

Hi,

Absolutely !
You have to set ‘LiveVisualization’ to True in your Catalyst script. Then, while the simulation is running, you can connect ParaView to it from the menu ‘Catalyst > Connect’
For more info, you may want to look at the Catalyst UserGuide, that can be found in the ParaView download page

(Dawei Mu) #3

Hi,

Thank you so much for your reply. What I want to ask is can we run the code on server @192.168.0.1, and open a paraview GUI @192.168.0.2. I know how to connect a pvserver, however, Catalyst > Connect only allow you to input port number not the IP address. is there a way I can connect the Catalyst server remotely?

Thank you so much for your time,

Dawei

(Nicolas Vuaille) #4

Hi,

Catalyst works with a reverse connection concept. It means that the Catalyst code on server will try to connect the GUI. So the IP configuration must be set in the Catalyst side. If you use a python script, you should have a line like
coprocessor.DoLiveVisualization(datadescription, "someIPadress", 22222)

In your case someIPadress should be the paraview GUI 192.168.0.2. Then in the GUI you should open the corresponding port (by default 22222).