Can .txt files be imported into paraview and create a model?

(Dinushika) #1

I have some data (x y z coordinates) of a model in a .txt file. can I import them in paraview and generate the model?

(Michael Migliore) #2

Yes, use the Delimited Text reader and the filter Table To Points to convert the table into points.

(Aron Helser) #3

You should be able to get them into ParaView as a set of points - like a point cloud. You won’t have any surfaces, because your file doesn’t specify how the points are connected.

(Dinushika) #4

What is Delimited Text reader. Could you please explain this little more?

(Dinushika) #5

How can I get a point cloud?

I opened .txt file like this in paraview. I don’t know how to get the point cloud?

(Michael Migliore) #6

Use Table To Points filter and select the representation Point Gaussian or 3D Glyphs for more complex point cloud representation.

(Mathieu Westphal) #7

@Dinushika1992 :

Here is complete steps by steps for opening a .txt file inro ParaView as a PointCloud, (according to the screenshot you attached) :

• Open ParaView
  • File->Open -> Select your file
  • Uncheck “Have Headers”
  • Set Field Delimiter to " "
  • Apply
  • Add a “Table to Points” Filter
  • Select Field0 as X, Field1 as Y, Field2 as Z
  • Apply
  • You should now see your point cloud

This is a very basic usage of ParaView, you may want to take a look into the ParaView user guide first chapter
https://www.paraview.org/paraview-guide/ which is free to download as a PDF, or even take a look into our professional training courses : https://training.kitware.fr/browse

@Michael suggestion about PointGaussian or 3D Glyph is still valid, you may want to try them out.

(Dinushika) #8

Thank you very much Mathieu.

(Aron Helser) #9

Polly, this thread directly answers your question, too.

(Dinushika) #10

Hi Mathieu,

I could get a point cloud. Now I want to know how can I have surface of this structure. I’m very much grateful if you can tell me the steps of it as well. Thank you

(Michael Migliore) #11

Hi,
You can use the filter called Delaunay3D (menu Filters / Alphabetical / Delaunay3D).
You will get an unstructured grid (with 3D cells). In order to convert this into a surfacic mesh, you can use the filter Extract Surface.

(Dinushika) #12

Hi Michael,

Thank you for the reply. But this method is not working for me. I followed your instructions. But nothing was happened. Point cloud is same as it was.