Cannot build 5.12.0 - DAWN_NATIVE_LIBRARY issues

I’m trying to build paraview 5.12.0 on various systems (arm/x86, mesa/NVIDIA, etc.), and I can’t get any of them to build it because of the following:

CMake Error at VTK/CMake/FindDawn.cmake:14 (find_library):
  Could not find DAWN_NATIVE_LIBRARY using the following names:
  libdawn_native.so, libdawn_native.dll
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  VTK/CMake/vtkModule.cmake:4958 (find_package)
  VTK/Rendering/WebGPU/CMakeLists.txt:186 (vtk_module_find_package)

These are all systems where 5.11.1, 5.11.2 and others have all built without issue. There is so little about libdawn out there that I can’t even determine what dawn IS, let alone how to get it and/or tell paraview not to build with it!

Any ideas?

VTK/Rendering/WebGPU/CMakeLists.txt - it looks like a WebGPU dependency - are you intending to build with that? Check your advanced options…

Not consciously at least! Is there a reason it would build by default in 5.12.0 but not in 5.11.1 or 5.11.2? I.e., am I OK to just search for and disable any webgpu flags?

It should not be enabled by default. You can try disabling webgpu, but that won’t be repeatable for your next build. You might try a fresh build directory and keep track of any enabled options you are using, and if you are still getting the error, post your steps so WebGPU folks can comment on why it’s getting turned on.

Cc: @jaswantp

Looks like some module is requesting the WebGPU module to build. Can you confirm these in your CMakeCache.txt?

1. VTK_ENABLE_WEBGPU:BOOL=OFF
  2. VTK_MODULE_ENABLE_VTK_RenderingWebGPU should not even exist.
1 Like

So I was able to build by turning VTK_ENABLE_WEBGPU to OFF! No idea how it got set to something else.

That said, for someone else who does want build WEBGPU, it might help to know what/where to find DAWN_NATIVE_LIBRARY. When searching that term, google only shows 7 results, two of which are this thread. Others are source code links to VTK itself and some project called amber.

That said, for someone else who does want build WEBGPU, it might help to know what/where to find DAWN_NATIVE_LIBRARY. When searching that term, google only shows 7 results, two of which are this thread. Others are source code links to VTK itself and some project called amber.

Surprised it didn’t link you to docs.vtk.org. VTK documentation has step-by-step instructions on how to make dawn available and where to get it from.

https://docs.vtk.org/en/latest/modules/vtk-modules/Rendering/WebGPU/README.html#how-to-build-vtk-with-dawn-highly-experimental