can't load a plugin 'Meshio'

I’m a complete beginner when it comes to programming and after doing the steps here:
tianyikillua/paraview-meshio: Generic mesh reader / writer for ParaView (github.com)

I get this error:

Generic Warning: In vtkPVPythonAlgorithmPlugin.cxx, line 184
Failed to load Python plugin:
Failed to call `paraview.detail.pythonalgorithm.load_plugin`.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files\ParaView 5.11.0\bin\Lib\site-packages\paraview\detail\pythonalgorithm.py", line 509, in load_plugin
    spec.loader.exec_module(module)
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 850, in exec_module
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 228, in _call_with_frames_removed
  File "C:\Program Files\ParaView 5.11.0\bin\paraview-5.11\plugins\meshio-5.3.4\tools\paraview-meshio-plugin.py", line 14, in <module>
    paraview_plugin_version = meshio.__version__
AttributeError: module 'meshio' has no attribute '__version__'
ERROR: In vtkPVPluginLoader.cxx, line 536
vtkPVPluginLoader (000001CA7E87DD50): C:\Program Files\ParaView 5.11.0\bin\paraview-5.11\plugins\meshio-5.3.4\tools\paraview-meshio-plugin.py: %1 is not a valid Win32 application.

HELP

@nschloe

It looks like we try to load the Python script; this fails with an exception (that we print, good). But we then go and try to load it as a DLL…bad. However, we only return bool from vtkPVPythonAlgorithmPlugin::LoadPlugin, so telling “not Python” from “Python, but failed” is not possible.

Hi all,

I just wanted to ask if anyone was able to find a fix for this inability to load the meshio plugin. There exists an issue on the Meshio GitHub page but has yet to be addressed. Below are the issues I face when trying to load the plugin in ParaView 5.12.0-RC1 using Windows 10:

error_1

Best regards,
Kris

Krzysztof Stopka

It looks like this is trying to go through the LoadLibrary codepath…

Cc: @mwestphal

dll load is probably a red herring where ParaView fails to load it as python and tries as a dll after.

Hi, I wonder if anyone has found a solution to this problem yet? I am new to Paraview and am trying to load in a python-based plugin called PVGeo-HDF5, but I get the same “Bad Error” pop-up as Krzysztof when I try to load via Paraview’s Plugin Manager as well as the error about a non-valid Win32 application.

please share your actual error.

Apparently PVGeo isn’t supported in Paraview anymore so I’m going down a different route now. Thanks for the reply!