cant open exodus2 file

Hello,

if i try to open an .ex2 file i get the following Error Message:

ERROR: In C:\glr\builds\paraview\paraview-ci\build\superbuild\paraview\src\VTK\IO\IOSS\vtkIOSSReader.cxx, line 852
vtkIOSSReader (000001A5798B8ED0): Error in UpdateTimeInformation: 
ERROR: The topology type 'hexahedron20' is not supported on 'section-assembly_part-2-1_set-1' in file 'C:/Users/s.jaeger/Desktop/h.exo'

ERROR: In C:\glr\builds\paraview\paraview-ci\build\superbuild\paraview\src\VTK\Common\ExecutionModel\vtkExecutive.cxx, line 753
vtkPVCompositeDataPipeline (000001A579F770A0): Algorithm vtkIOSSReader(000001A5798B8ED0) returned failure for request: vtkInformation (000001A57B5850F0)
  Debug: Off
  Modified Time: 3596435
  Reference Count: 1
  Registered Events: (none)
  Request: REQUEST_INFORMATION
  FORWARD_DIRECTION: 0
  ALGORITHM_AFTER_FORWARD: 1

ERROR: In C:\glr\builds\paraview\paraview-ci\build\superbuild\paraview\src\VTK\Common\ExecutionModel\vtkExecutive.cxx, line 753
vtkPVCompositeDataPipeline (000001A579F770A0): Algorithm vtkIOSSReader(000001A5798B8ED0) returned failure for request: vtkInformation (000001A579773020)
  Modified Time: 3599218
  Request: REQUEST_DATA
  FROM_OUTPUT_PORT: 0

why is the topology type “hexahedron20” not supported? if i try to open the file in another software (VisIt) it works fine

HI @jaeg1710 ,

Looks like this cell type is not supported by the exodus reader. Did you try with the new one or the legacy one ?

(LegacyExodusReader plugin, available in 5.10.1).

Best,

i initally tried with the “IOSS Reader” which doesnt work.

However I tried now with the “Legacy Exodus 2 Reader” PlugIn and it worked!

Thank you for the fast reply :slight_smile:

@jaeg1710 could you open an issue on : https://gitlab.kitware.com/paraview/paraview/-/issues ?

FYI @utkarsh.ayachit @coreylee @jaswantp

The hexahedron20 alias for the 20-noded hex is not supported. It is recognized as a hex20 or hexahedron_20 or Solid_Hex_20_3D.

Would just need to add hexahedron20 as an alias in projects/seacas/libraries/ioss/src/Ioss_Hex20.C…

Sounds like a good idea? I assume older datasets should still run. Let us know when it’s in, and I can have Kitware do another pull of IOSS.

I can also add a step where if the block topology isn’t recognized, it attempts using a subset of the passed in name. Most topologies start with 3 or 4 characters followed by an optional node count (hex20, tet4, quad9, …). If I add a test when the original name doesn’t match a valid topology and then I strip of the first 3 or 4 letters and add the (optional) node count to the end and then see if that matches a valid topology, it should recognize more topology types without having to explicitly list every possible alias.

Then hexahedron20 would be shortened to hex20 which will match…

Modification is in. You can give it a try.

I have a similar issue: until version 5.9.1, ParaView was able to read exodus2 files produced by a proprietary software, in which the type of the hexahedral elements is called “hexa8”. This name is consistent with the name “HEXA8” used by ParaView in the class vtkPEnSightReaderCellIds (except for the lower/upper case).

However, if I use the current ParaView version 5.10.1 without the LegacyExodusReader plugin, I receive the following error message:

ERROR: In C:\glr\builds\paraview\paraview-ci\build\superbuild\paraview\src\VTK\IO\IOSS\vtkIOSSReader.cxx, line 852
vtkIOSSReader (000002CEF3D174C0): Error in UpdateTimeInformation: 
ERROR: The topology type 'hexa8' is not supported on 'stator_3d' in file 'C:/Users/sty2rng/Desktop/team24_hexa_proj.ex2'

vtkPVCompositeDataPipeline (000002CE88150460): Algorithm vtkIOSSReader(000002CEF3D174C0) returned failure for request: vtkInformation (000002CE9234F350)
  Modified Time: 377809
  Request: REQUEST_INFORMATION