Can't run Paraview successfully on Linux mint

I’m using Linux Mint 19.1 on an office computer which has an NVIDIA graphics card and I’m trying to run Paraview on it. It used to work a while back, but for some reason it’s not working anymore.

I’ve first tried to install via command-line with apt install paraview. When I run Paraview installed via this method, the Paraview window opens but it stays all gray and the header says "Paraview 5.4.1 64-bit (Legacy rendering backend). (And I obviously can’t do anything because the whole window is gray.)

If I try to download and run the binaries (I’ve tried versions 5.2 to 5.6.2) they don’t open anything. I just get a message on the terminal saying Aborted.

I suspect the issue has to do with the NVIDIA drivers, but I’m really not familiar with graphics card enough to figure out what’s going on. When I follow this answer to check if NVIDIA is working, the output is that it is:

$ lspci -vnnn | perl -lne 'print if /^\d+\:.+(\[\S+\:\S+\])/' | grep VGA
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GF119 [NVS 310] [10de:107d] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Any ideas on what’s going on?

I would recommend not using this outdated version.

NVS 310

This is a very specific professional card, I do not think ParaView is tested on it.
Please provide the output of glxinfo.

@mwestphal

Thanks for the reply. Here’s the output:

name of display: :0
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  154 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  24 (X_GLXCreateNewContext)
  Value in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  85
  Current serial number in output stream:  86

As for NVS 310, seems like it’s the card model, right? Since this is an office desktop I can’t change that.

NVS310 is indeed your GPU, It juste strike me as odd.
According to wikipedia, it is a 2012 card, very old, and :

The Nvidia Quadro NVS graphics processing units (GPUs) provide business graphics solutions for manufacturers of small, medium, and enterprise-level business workstations. The Nvidia Quadro NVS desktop solutions enable multi-display graphics for businesses such as financial traders.

So, can you check this is actually your GPU model ?

In any case, your glxinfo output clearly shows the you either of driver issue (not the correct drivers installed or not up to date), or a GPU hardware issue (less likely).

You will have to fix that first.