Color map XML format

Continuing the discussion from Replacement default color map and background palette:

Andrew,

I’ve branched this into a new topic. You are right, we should have better documentation of the XML and JSON file formats for defining color maps. We should add a section on these formats to 3. Color maps and transfer functions — ParaView Documentation 5.11.0 documentation with this information.

As far as I can tell, the “o” attribute is completely ignored in XML files that define colormaps. Perhaps the thought at one point was that these would define opacities. Since the opacity map can be defined with an entirely different set of data values, it doesn’t make sense to me to have an opacity associated with a color. Rather, the opacity map should be defined in a seperate XML element.

As for the Section element, I think that is completely ignore.

By the way, the XML parsing code for color maps is defined here: https://gitlab.kitware.com/paraview/paraview/-/blob/master/Remoting/Views/vtkSMTransferFunctionProxy.cxx

@Andrew_Maclean

Thankyou! I suspected opacity and was trying to figure out a way to use it. When this is done, I’ll update the VTK Example that I wrote and also add a link to the ParaView documentation. I’ll also check out the XML parsiing code, I was looking for something like that!