Compilation fails with intel compiler on MacOS 10.15.4

Hello,

I am trying to compile the CATALYST_RENDERING edition of paraview on my Mac but it fails with the following error:

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/include/c++/v1/atomic(970): error: no suitable constructor exists to convert from "void" to "std::__1::__thread_id"
      return __c11_atomic_load(const_cast<__ptr_type>(&__a->__a_value), static_cast<__memory_order_underlying_t>(__order));
             ^
          detected during:
            instantiation of "_Tp std::__1::__cxx_atomic_load(const std::__1::__cxx_atomic_base_impl<_Tp> *, std::__1::memory_order={std::__1::memory_order}) [with _Tp=std::__1::thread::id]" at line 1487
            instantiation of "_Tp std::__1::__atomic_base<_Tp, <unnamed>>::load(std::__1::memory_order={std::__1::memory_order}) const [with _Tp=std::__1::thread::id, <unnamed>=false]" at line 808 of "/Users/bknaepen/Sources/paraview_intel/ThirdParty/protobuf/vtkprotobuf/src/google/protobuf/generated_message_util.cc"

compilation aborted for /Users/bknaepen/Sources/paraview_intel/ThirdParty/protobuf/vtkprotobuf/src/google/protobuf/generated_message_util.cc (code 2)
make[2]: *** [ThirdParty/protobuf/vtkprotobuf/src/CMakeFiles/protobuf.dir/google/protobuf/generated_message_util.cc.o] Error 2
make[1]: *** [ThirdParty/protobuf/vtkprotobuf/src/CMakeFiles/protobuf.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

I am not familiar with where cmake stores all the log files to provide extra information. The compiler is intel 19.1.1.216 (so the current latest version) and MacOS is Catalina 10.15.4

Compiling with brew installed gcc suite works fine…

Thanks for any help,

Regards,
Bernard.

@ben.boeckel

It appears as though the Intel compiler doesn’t like the Xcode you’re using. @chuckatkins?