Connecting to compiled Paraview 5.5.2 server from Mac client crashes

Hello,

I have compiled Paraview 5.5.2 with MPI and OSMesa support on a RedHat cluster. Linux and Windows clients are able to connect to the server without issue, but connecting to it from a Mac client causes a crash with this error message.

[day@node994 bin]$ ./pvserver
Waiting for client...
Connection URL: cs://node994.cm.cluster:11111
Accepting connection(s): node994.cm.cluster:11111
Client connected.
ERROR: In /home/day/build/ParaView-v5.5.2/VTK/Parallel/Core/vtkSocketCommunicator.cxx, line 808
vtkSocketCommunicator (0x3ad9100): Could not receive tag. 1

ERROR: In /home/day/build/ParaView-v5.5.2/ParaViewCore/ClientServerCore/Core/vtkTCPNetworkAccessManager.cxx, line 301
vtkTCPNetworkAccessManager (0x2763240): Some error in socket processing.

Exiting...

I went back and built 5.5.0 and 5.5.1 as well and have encountered this issue there as well, leading me to believe that this is not a Paraview issue but rather a system-specific configuration one. However, I have been unable to find anything that may be a culprit for such an issue.

There is a bug on mac in 5.5.2 such that there will be a crash in the Mac client when it connects to a server that does not have OSPRay enabled. Try connecting to it from the mac 5.5.1 no ospray binaries.

This is fixed in master and will be fixed in 5.6.0.

As I mentioned before, 5.5.1 still crashes. However, I’ll try compiling 5.5.2 with OSPray via the Superbuild.

Specifically try the 5.5.1-NOOSPRAY binary from the kitware download site. In 5.5.0 and 5.5.1 all three clients would fail if the server lacked ospray.