Connection failed during handshake | vtkSocketCommunicator mismatch

Hello,

I’m trying to visualize data remotely on a server from my work computer. I have to ssh twice to access my data.

I’ve followed the instructions on Paraview on how to set up a forward connection over an ssh Tunnel. I have paraview 5.10.1 installed locally and on my work computer. The good news is that the client and server seem to be talking, however I get the following error:

(  31.693s) [pvserver        ]vtkSocketCommunicator.c:502    ERR| vtkSocketCommunicator (0x55a2b712d3a0): Client/server version hash mismatch.
(  31.693s) [pvserver        ]vtkTCPNetworkAccessMana:326    ERR| vtkTCPNetworkAccessManager (0x55a2b7048950): 
Connection failed during handshake. vtkSocketCommunicator::GetVersion()
 returns different values on the two connecting processes
 (Current value: 100).

I’ve read a discussion post of someone in a similar situation but I’m not understanding the discussion on how to fix this bug. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and Happy Holidays!

This usually is a red herring indicating a communication issue between server and client. Do you have anything else is the output of the client or the server ?

I don’t think so; this is the full message I get:

ERROR: In /opt/glr/paraview/paraview-ci/build/superbuild/paraview/src/VTK/Parallel/Core/vtkSocketCommunicator.cxx, line 587
vtkSocketCommunicator (0x600000548240): Client/server version hash mismatch.

ERROR: In /opt/glr/paraview/paraview-ci/build/superbuild/paraview/src/Remoting/Core/vtkTCPNetworkAccessManager.cxx, line 332
vtkTCPNetworkAccessManager (0x600002060040): 

Ok; I figured out the issue. My work machine was actually running pvserver on Paraview 5.7

I downloaded Paraview 5.7 on my local machine but I get an error because Paraview 5.7 needs python v2 on my computer’s /System/Library/Frameworks/

I have a Mac on Sonoma OS and later Mac OS’ don’t have python installed in their system’s framework. Is there a way for me to set up a symbolic link where Paraview 5.7 uses python2 on my user’s library? I want to avoid my system’s library as much as possible

Indeed: https://gitlab.kitware.com/paraview/paraview/-/issues/18171