Consistency of scale between 3D paraview scenes

Hi All,

Sorry for the inexperienced question…

I have two different 3D closed curves I would like to export images of - as it stands, they are not axis aligned in any way, and their xyz coordinates are not standardised in any way (for example, I haven’t translated some extremal point of their bounding boxes to the origin). They are however roughly the same size.

I want to export images of them which are consistent in their scale - how should I do this? In particular, is there a way in paraview to give a scale bar “stuck to the camera lens” ?

Any help much appreciated! Best, Jack

If you want the image of the two curves to be the same size, you can create two views, showing one curve in one view and the other curve in the other view. The camera for each view can be linked, meaning they have the same parameters like zoom factor, position, orientation. The linking ensures that any changes to the camera in one view are copied over to the other view. I think this is what you mean by consistent in their scale. After you have set up the view you want, you can save each view individually.

You will need to roughly co-register the curves, though, using for example the Transforming parameters in the Properties Panel, for this to work.

See https://www.paraview.org/Wiki/Beginning_GUI for how to create and link two views. The text to search for is LInk Camera

Hi Cory,

Thanks for the reply - I wasn’t very precise about what I meant by “consistency” I know! I ended up co-aligning all the curves with the Transform filter, as you suggested. I actually want to look at the curves from different viewpoints, so I don’t want the camera locked. I think the alignment is practically good enough though - I just don’t want one zoom factor for one curve, a second zoom factor for the other.

As for a scale bar, I ended up using the ruler filter to draw one (the curves I have are mainly planar, so this bar is actually useful). Thanks for the help!

I just don’t want one zoom factor for one curve, a second zoom factor for the other.

You could link the views until you get a common zoom factor, then unlink to rotate the camera to different view points.