Core dumps "often"

Not sure how to report this bug(s)… but I get core dumps now and then. I just got one by dragging my mouse in the rendered view of my data. I had started Paraview with the terminal. This is what I see:

[openvkl] application requested ISPC device width 8via device name cpu_8
[openvkl] CPU device instantiated with width: 8, ISA: AVX2
[isaac-desktop:51360] *** Process received signal ***
[isaac-desktop:51360] Signal: Segmentation fault (11)
[isaac-desktop:51360] Signal code: Address not mapped (1)
[isaac-desktop:51360] Failing at address: 0x334000000f1
[isaac-desktop:51360] [ 0] /usr/bin/../lib/libc.so.6(+0x3e6f0) [0x7facdea3e6f0]
[isaac-desktop:51360] [ 1] /usr/bin/../lib/libQt6Core.so.6(_ZNK21QPersistentModelIndex6parentEv+0x21) [0x7face48054f1]
[isaac-desktop:51360] [ 2] /usr/bin/../lib/libQt6Core.so.6(ZNK19QItemSelectionRange11intersectedERKS+0x1d6) [0x7face4827da6]
[isaac-desktop:51360] [ 3] /usr/bin/../lib/libQt6Core.so.6(_ZN14QItemSelection5mergeERKS_6QFlagsIN19QItemSelectionModel13SelectionFlagEE+0x127) [0x7face4828ec7]
[isaac-desktop:51360] [ 4] /usr/bin/../lib/libQt6Core.so.6(_ZN19QItemSelectionModel6selectERK14QItemSelection6QFlagsINS_13SelectionFlagEE+0x105) [0x7face483b375]
[isaac-desktop:51360] [ 5] /usr/bin/../lib/libQt6Core.so.6(_ZN19QItemSelectionModel5clearEv+0x5f) [0x7face483221f]
[isaac-desktop:51360] [ 6] /usr/bin/../lib/libpqCore.so.1(_ZN22pqSpreadSheetViewModel11forceUpdateEv+0x44) [0x7facea7d7ea4]
[isaac-desktop:51360] [ 7] /usr/bin/../lib/libQt6Core.so.6(+0x1ef236) [0x7face45ef236]
[isaac-desktop:51360] [ 8] /usr/bin/../lib/libvtkGUISupportQt.so.1(+0x3f371) [0x7facea9d0371]
[isaac-desktop:51360] [ 9] /usr/bin/../lib/libvtkCommonCore.so.1(_ZN18vtkCallbackCommand7ExecuteEP9vtkObjectmPv+0x26) [0x7face261cfa6]
[isaac-desktop:51360] [10] /usr/bin/../lib/libvtkCommonCore.so.1(+0x32987f8) [0x7face26987f8]
[isaac-desktop:51360] [11] /usr/bin/../lib/libvtkRemotingViews.so.1(_ZN18vtkSpreadSheetView14StreamToClientEv+0x1be) [0x7facdd0f9b2e]
[isaac-desktop:51360] [12] /usr/bin/../lib/libvtkRemotingApplication.so.1(+0x3a6611) [0x7facdd7a6611]
[isaac-desktop:51360] [13] /usr/bin/../lib/libvtkRemotingClientServerStream.so.1(_ZN26vtkClientServerInterpreter20ProcessCommandInvokeERK21vtkClientServerStreami+0x53d) [0x7facea87fa3d]
[isaac-desktop:51360] [14] /usr/bin/../lib/libvtkRemotingClientServerStream.so.1(_ZN26vtkClientServerInterpreter17ProcessOneMessageERK21vtkClientServerStreami+0xcd) [0x7facea88017d]
[isaac-desktop:51360] [15] /usr/bin/../lib/libvtkRemotingClientServerStream.so.1(_ZN26vtkClientServerInterpreter13ProcessStreamERK21vtkClientServerStream+0x2e) [0x7facea88067e]
[isaac-desktop:51360] [16] /usr/bin/../lib/libvtkRemotingServerManager.so.1(_ZN16vtkPVSessionCore21ExecuteStreamInternalERK21vtkClientServerStreamb+0x10d) [0x7facea2d200d]
[isaac-desktop:51360] [17] /usr/bin/../lib/libvtkRemotingServerManager.so.1(_ZN16vtkPVSessionBase13ExecuteStreamEjRK21vtkClientServerStreamb+0x7d) [0x7facea2d101d]
[isaac-desktop:51360] [18] /usr/bin/../lib/libvtkRemotingViews.so.1(_ZN14vtkSMViewProxy11StillRenderEv+0x2d9) [0x7facdd0e3839]
[isaac-desktop:51360] [19] /usr/bin/../lib/libpqCore.so.1(_ZN6pqView11forceRenderEv+0x73) [0x7facea7e4b23]
[isaac-desktop:51360] [20] /usr/bin/../lib/libQt6Core.so.6(+0x1ef236) [0x7face45ef236]
[isaac-desktop:51360] [21] /usr/bin/../lib/libQt6Core.so.6(_ZN6QTimer10timerEventEP11QTimerEvent+0xaf) [0x7face460146f]
[isaac-desktop:51360] [22] /usr/bin/../lib/libQt6Core.so.6(_ZN7QObject5eventEP6QEvent+0xd9) [0x7face45e6b49]
[isaac-desktop:51360] [23] /usr/bin/../lib/libQt6Widgets.so.6(_ZN19QApplicationPrivate13notify_helperEP7QObjectP6QEvent+0x8f) [0x7face570325f]
[isaac-desktop:51360] [24] /usr/bin/../lib/libQt6Core.so.6(_ZN16QCoreApplication15notifyInternal2EP7QObjectP6QEvent+0x158) [0x7face45822b8]
[isaac-desktop:51360] [25] /usr/bin/../lib/libQt6Core.so.6(_ZN14QTimerInfoList14activateTimersEv+0x635) [0x7face47648f5]
[isaac-desktop:51360] [26] /usr/bin/../lib/libQt6Core.so.6(+0x49a439) [0x7face489a439]
[isaac-desktop:51360] [27] /usr/bin/../lib/libglib-2.0.so.0(+0x61c76) [0x7facdb6fec76]
[isaac-desktop:51360] [28] /usr/bin/../lib/libglib-2.0.so.0(+0x63ed7) [0x7facdb700ed7]
[isaac-desktop:51360] [29] /usr/bin/../lib/libglib-2.0.so.0(g_main_context_iteration+0x35) [0x7facdb701055]
[isaac-desktop:51360] *** End of error message ***
zsh: segmentation fault (core dumped) paraview

Please provide:

  • ParaView version and how it was installed
  • Help → About content
  • Exact steps to reproduce the issue

Best,

I am using Arch Linux, Paraview was installed through pacman. It is version 6.1.1 (6.1.1-9’s package in Arch Linux).

Client Information:
Version: 6.1.1
VTK Version:
Qt Version: 6.11.2
vtkIdType size: 64bits
Embedded Python: On
Python Library Path: /usr/lib/python3.14
Python Library Version: 3.14.7 (main, Aug 10 2026, 07:46:56) [GCC 16.1.1 20260728]
Python Numpy Support: On
Python Numpy Path: /usr/lib/python3.14/site-packages/numpy
Python Numpy Version: 2.5.3
Python Matplotlib Support: On
Python Matplotlib Path: /usr/lib/python3.14/site-packages/matplotlib
Python Matplotlib Version: 3.11.2
Python Testing: Off
MPI Enabled: On
Disable Registry: Off
Test Directory:
Data Directory:
SMP Backend: TBB
SMP Max Number of Threads: 8
OpenGL Vendor: AMD
OpenGL Version: 4.6 (Core Profile) Mesa 26.2.2-arch1.1
OpenGL Renderer: AMD Radeon RX 6400 (radeonsi, navi24, ACO, DRM 3.64, 7.2.6-arch2-1)
Accelerated filters overrides available: No

Connection Information:
Remote Connection: No

I would not be able to reproduce it 100% of the time. I just load my data, “play around” with calculators, lines, dragging my mouse over the rendered section, and I would get crashes now and then. So I haven’t yet pinpointed these crashes to a single culprit.

Edit: Let me know if there is a log file that could help.

Please use the binary release from https://www.paraview.org/download/

Is it for some specific reason? Or just that it’s version 6.2? In which case I’ll just wait until this version hits Arch Linux repository.

The ArchLinux version is maintained by ArchLinux maintainers, the binary release version is maintained by Kitware.

I’m not suggesting the cause of the bugs you see to be specifically the ArchLinux package, just that you won’t get support for it here and I wont be able to help.

If you reproduce the issues using the binary release, then we can help.

Usually I would try myself with the binary release but you do not provide specific steps to test.

In conclusion, ParaView is not supposed to core dump “often” (or at all) so please try with the binary release and let us know if that fixes it. I cant help with anything regarding specifically the ArchLinux package.

I see, thanks a lot for the information. I’ll be using the official Paraview binary and report here if I get another core dump.