Could not create a proxy of group: filters type: ScalarFieldNormalizer

I get a lot of error messages before even doing anything when I start ParaView 5.8.0

ERROR: In /Users/kitware/dashboards/buildbot-slave/a64f5607/build/superbuild/paraview/src/Remoting/ServerManager/vtkSIProxyDefinitionManager.cxx, line 526

vtkSIProxyDefinitionManager (0x600000b0a4c0): No proxy that matches: group=filters and proxy=ScalarFieldNormalizer were found.

Does anybody have an idea what is wrong there?

1 Like

Hi Roxana,

That is not a proxy known to ParaView AFAIK. Have you used a custom filter or plugin in the past that it might be referring to?

Hi Cory, thanks for the quick reply :slight_smile:

I just installed 5.8.0 and have not done anything there at all. But I have included SurfaceLic in my previous versions of ParaView, which by the way show the same error now, too.

Also (not sure if related) when I try to start a trace, I get

ERROR: In /Users/kitware/dashboards/buildbot-slave/a64f5607/build/superbuild/paraview/src/Remoting/ServerManager/vtkSMDeserializerXML.cxx, line 58
vtkSMCompoundProxyDefinitionLoader (0x6000003d8a00): Could not create a proxy of group: filters type: ScalarFieldNormalizer

Warning: In /Users/kitware/dashboards/buildbot-slave/a64f5607/build/superbuild/paraview/src/Remoting/ServerManager/vtkSMProxy.cxx, line 270
vtkSMCompoundSourceProxy (0x7fb0505b6b60): Subproxy required for the exposed property is missing.No subproxy with name : TTKSphereFromPoint1

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 1, in
File “/Applications/ParaView-5.8.0.app/Contents/Python/paraview/simple.py”, line 41, in
from paraview import servermanager
File “/Applications/ParaView-5.8.0.app/Contents/Python/paraview/servermanager.py”, line 3374, in
__initialize()
File “/Applications/ParaView-5.8.0.app/Contents/Python/paraview/servermanager.py”, line 3365, in __initialize
c = Connection(iter.GetCurrentSessionId(), iter.GetCurrentSession())
File “/Applications/ParaView-5.8.0.app/Contents/Python/paraview/servermanager.py”, line 2039, in init
_createModules(self.Modules)
File “/Applications/ParaView-5.8.0.app/Contents/Python/paraview/servermanager.py”, line 2712, in _createModules
m.filters = createModule(‘filters’)
File “/Applications/ParaView-5.8.0.app/Contents/Python/paraview/servermanager.py”, line 2815, in createModule
cobj = _createClass(groupName, proxyName, apxm=pxm)
File “/Applications/ParaView-5.8.0.app/Contents/Python/paraview/servermanager.py”, line 2759, in _createClass
if (prop.GetInformationOnly() and propName != “TimestepValues”
AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘GetInformationOnly’
ERROR: In /Users/kitware/dashboards/buildbot-slave/a64f5607/build/superbuild/paraview/src/Remoting/ServerManager/vtkSMTrace.cxx, line 76
vtkSMTrace (0x600007d00410): Failed to import paraview.smtrace module.

Generic Warning: In /Users/kitware/dashboards/buildbot-slave/a64f5607/build/superbuild/paraview/src/Remoting/ServerManager/vtkSMTrace.cxx, line 162
Trace not started since required Python modules are missing.

Hi Cory, thanks for the quick reply :slight_smile:

I just installed 5.8.0 and have not done anything there at all. But I have included SurfaceLic in my previous versions of ParaView, which by the way show the same error now, too.

Also (not sure if related) when I try to start a trace, I get

ERROR: In /Users/kitware/dashboards/buildbot-slave/a64f5607/build/superbuild/paraview/src/Remoting/ServerManager/vtkSMDeserializerXML.cxx, line 58
vtkSMCompoundProxyDefinitionLoader (0x6000003d8a00): Could not create a proxy of group: filters type: ScalarFieldNormalizer

Warning: In /Users/kitware/dashboards/buildbot-slave/a64f5607/build/superbuild/paraview/src/Remoting/ServerManager/vtkSMProxy.cxx, line 270
vtkSMCompoundSourceProxy (0x7fb0505b6b60): Subproxy required for the exposed property is missing.No subproxy with name : TTKSphereFromPoint1

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 1, in
File “/Applications/ParaView-5.8.0.app/Contents/Python/paraview/simple.py”, line 41, in
from paraview import servermanager
File “/Applications/ParaView-5.8.0.app/Contents/Python/paraview/servermanager.py”, line 3374, in
__initialize()
File “/Applications/ParaView-5.8.0.app/Contents/Python/paraview/servermanager.py”, line 3365, in __initialize
c = Connection(iter.GetCurrentSessionId(), iter.GetCurrentSession())
File “/Applications/ParaView-5.8.0.app/Contents/Python/paraview/servermanager.py”, line 2039, in init
_createModules(self.Modules)
File “/Applications/ParaView-5.8.0.app/Contents/Python/paraview/servermanager.py”, line 2712, in _createModules
m.filters = createModule(‘filters’)
File “/Applications/ParaView-5.8.0.app/Contents/Python/paraview/servermanager.py”, line 2815, in createModule
cobj = _createClass(groupName, proxyName, apxm=pxm)
File “/Applications/ParaView-5.8.0.app/Contents/Python/paraview/servermanager.py”, line 2759, in _createClass
if (prop.GetInformationOnly() and propName != “TimestepValues”
AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘GetInformationOnly’
ERROR: In /Users/kitware/dashboards/buildbot-slave/a64f5607/build/superbuild/paraview/src/Remoting/ServerManager/vtkSMTrace.cxx, line 76
vtkSMTrace (0x600007d00410): Failed to import paraview.smtrace module.

Generic Warning: In /Users/kitware/dashboards/buildbot-slave/a64f5607/build/superbuild/paraview/src/Remoting/ServerManager/vtkSMTrace.cxx, line 162
Trace not started since required Python modules are missing.

Ah, this is coming from TTK somehow. ScalarFieldNormalizer is a filter from that toolkit. It looks like somewhere along the way a Custom Filter was created that used a TTKSphereFromPoint filter(?), and now TTK isn’t available, hence the complaint. I suggest doing the following:

• Open ParaView
  • Select Tools -> Manage Custom Filters…
  • Delete any custom filters you see.
  • Restart ParaView

If that doesn’t work, you can edit ~/.config/ParaView/ParaView5.8.0.ini and remove the line starting with CustomFilters=.

OMG! Thank you :smiley:
That was totally the problem!!!