Create and assign new timesteps to data

Hi,

I have an STL file and I want to rotate the geometry by alpha every timestep and save the data. Right now, I just load the STL file and a series of empty CSV files that creates the time vector. Then I use the animation pane to rotate the STL file each timestep. So everything looks good and works if I save it as animation, but if I want to save my transformation (rotation by alpha) as time series of STL files, it only saves one time step and skips, so it seems the animation pane becomes inactive when I want to save data. Is there a way to rotate the STL file and be able to save it each timestep?

Thanks in advance

Hi,

First, your csv tricks works but there is others, more flexible, and preferred way to create timesteps:

• Sequence Mode. In the animation panel (renamed time manage in 5.12) you can define a Number Of Frames that will be used by the animation.
  • Generate TimeSteps filter create some timesteps in your pipeline.

Then concerning your issue:

• The camera track in the animation panel move the camera itself, not the data: so the save data option will save the same input mesh.
  • Use the Transform Filter to actually modify your data, and create an animation track to change the angle at each timestep. Then save data should work (note the Save Timesteps option)
1 Like

Thanks a lot, I actually used the transform filter. The problem is not that the coordinates are not rotated, the problem is that it only saves one timestep (so the option ā€œwrite all timestepsā€ is checked but does not work)

Ok, I see.

Save Data does not take animation into account, and just ask the pipeline data for timesteps.

To save the data modified by the animation tracks, one should prefer the Extractors, and then Save Extracts (8. Saving Results ā€” ParaView Documentation 5.11.0 documentation)

1 Like

Thanks, I didnā€™t know about extractors. Then I should use ParaView 5.9 or newer.

Indeed! In any case, it is always worth updating software from time to time :slight_smile:

Hi,
After reading this post, I realized I have the opposite problem as yours, namely, I have the time data stored in my .cgns import, but the rotor in my geometry does not rotate! Considering youā€™ve already figured how to rotate the geometry, could you please elaborate on your method? A heads up - Iā€™m very new to ParaView, and my understanding of the concept of the pipeline, filter, etc. may be murky. I have tried to use of the animation pane as you suggested to the best of my ability, but I donā€™t think I understand it enough to make it do what I want. I can briefly highlight what I have done so far. So, I have four timesteps in total. I do an extract block x4 of the rotor to be able to rotate the rotor four times corresponding to the four angular positions. I make as many slices for each rotated position (since I want to visualize the midspan at the three timesteps). With this, I move to the animation view, which I presume is what you mean by the animation pane (I have PV 5.11.2), and this is where I lose my way. I chose the first slice to represent timestep 1, and then, using the blue ā€˜+ā€™ button, try to add the next slice, but donā€™t understand how to change the time for that slice. I also presume I would have to hide the previous slice, but do not know how to do that. Attached is my animation view, and the slices Iā€™ve added in there. I donā€™t understand what slice offset values stand for next to each slice. Would be grateful if you could point me in the right direction, and let me know if my above approach so far has been entirely wrong. Thank you very much!