Cumulation values over time

Hi,
I would like to calculate and display total absolute value (cumulation) of displecement or strain over all timesteps. I found filter “integrate” is there similar one that would integrate over time? Or is there other way to do it?

Thank you,

Jonas

The Temporal Statistics filter can compute the average of field values over all time. You could multiply the average by the number of time steps to get the sum.

I don’t know if there is an easier way to do it.

Thanks for reply! Problem is that there is periodic change of temerature, that results in periodic strains, so average value will not represent the total value of strain…

I guess I do not understand your question then. The Integrate Variables filter you reference in your initial question essentially just sums up all the field values in your dataset, and you said you wanted to do that over time instead of space. Now you are saying that you don’t want to just sum up the values over time. So, what are you trying to do?

Sorry, I guess I did not put it right. I want to cummulate value separately for each point over time, so the result would show the amount of strain, that each point went trought during the whole process.
I hope It is more understandable.

I still do not understand. The Temporal Statistics filter does cumulate over time each point value separately.

As an example, here is me running the Temporal Statistics filter on the can.ex2 data set (one of the example data sets that comes with ParaView). It shows for each cell the equivalent plastic strain (eqps). The values are averaged over all time, but each value remains separate.

How does your problem differ?

Sorry for late answers…I have perodical data, so the strain is not increasing all the time, but is oscilating around zero as seen on the Plot over time chart. I want to see the total distance (trajectory) or strain each cell went trough.

I’m still not totally sure what you want. Are you saying that you want to compute the total absolute strain so that positive and negative values of strain add up rather than cancel out? In that case, you can just use the Calculator filter to compute the absolute value of the strain (e.g., abs(strain_yy)) before running Temporal Statistics.

Or by total distance do you mean you are trying to find the length of the curve you plotted over time? That is more tricky, but should be possible.

Its the first one, thank you. But I´ ll still have to use the average multiplied by timesteps right?

Correct.

1 Like