Custom plugin - Requirements for plugin compatible with release [Windows]

Hi everyone,

We plan to developp a plugin, that users may use with the latest release.

On Windows, the latest release of paraview (5.11.0) is build with msvc2017, whereas the documentation suggests to setup the dev environnment with msvc2019.

Thus we would like to know :

• The versions use to build the latest release

• QT
    • Compiler
    • other requirements …
  • Where to find this information for each release (past and future)

• We do not find this information neither in the documentation nor in the forum.
  • Finaly for each requirement, must the plugin be built wtih the same (==) or a higher version (>=) to work with the release ?

• For instance, msvc==2017
    • What about QT and other requirements ?

Hi @MCO

The process to build a plugin compatible with with Windows Binary Release is here:
https://gitlab.kitware.com/paraview/paraview-plugin-windows-binary-compatible-guide

Visual Studio Version should not have an impact.

Best,

Thank you Mathieu for this quick answer.

I still have two questions.

First Point

Your answer suggests that a plugin build with msvc 2019 is compatible with the latest release, but what about QT ?

I asked this question as my plugin works with the local build paraview (msvc2019-QT5.15.12) but not with the latest downloaded version (5.11 msvc2017-QT ???).

In this latest release, the plugin is loaded but crashes once QT interactions start.

Second Point

I will try the process shared (with superbuild), it may not help but simplify the process. Nevertheless I do not find the 5.11 configurations file in the shared “Guide Repo”.. Is it the same as 5.10.1 ?

I asked this question as my plugin works with the local build paraview (msvc2019-QT5.15.12) but not with the latest downloaded version (5.11 msvc2017-QT ???).

I’ll check and let you know.

not find the 5.11 configurations file in the shared “Guide Repo”.. Is it the same as 5.10.1 ?

Not updated yet, should be close enough anyway.