Enable tags

I’ve just turned on the setting to allow tags on topics. Seems like it’d be a good idea to do that, so issues can be tagged as python, build, ui, etc. Thoughts? Should we populate a default set of tags?

I think that would be great.

Add web to that list of tags unless we think it should be a topic by itself?

Ah! My vote is for web to be a category. It’s on par with Catalyst.

1 Like

Also note that categories can have subcategories. Depending on the subject, subcategories might be more appropriate than tags or top-level categories.

I agree on Web. For other things, such as build or installation problems, I’m not sure if tags or subcategories are better. I’m leaning towards tags as I don’t think we should impose too much categorization on posts.

plus note categories are mutually exclusive. You can have a Catalyst+build+python issue, so Catalyst being category and the rest being tags makes sense to me.

The categories you have are more about the audience (tutorial, developer, catalyst/simulations) while the tags discussed are related to functional blocks of PV. Dividing things this way makes sense and you could make a case for either removing the “Catalyst Support” category, renaming it to “Simulation Support”, or leaving it alone — all with or without a catalyst tag.

+1 for renaming it to Simulation or In situ Support.

I vote for In situ Support

Are we voting? Aren’t you an admin with category-renaming powers? :grin:
In Situ Support sounds good to me.

Renamed.

Web Support category has been added as well. @jourdain feel free to update the description, as needed.

1 Like

Late for the party, but I think this is a good idea to have tags.