Error in opening .xmf and .h5 files

Hello everyone,

I am new to ParaView and encountering an issue with opening .xmf and .h5 files. These files were obtained from the FLOWUnsteady code, an open-source tool developed for Computational Fluid Dynamics simulations.(https://flow.byu.edu/FLOWUnsteady/).

I attempted to open the .xmf file using the XDMF reader and the .h5 file using the VisItPixieReader.
ParaView responds with the errors you can find in the attached .txt file.
Error_file.txt (5.2 KB)
Even after trying different combinations of readers, the problem persists, and in some cases, ParaView crashes and closes unexpectedly.

Does anyone know what could be causing this issue?

thank you :grinning:

Please share the data.

Hello Mathieu,
please use this weTransfer link (WeTransfer - Send Large Files & Share Photos Online - Up to 2GB Free) to download the .xmf and .h5 files. If I directly attach the files, the operation fails, I don’t know why.
Thank you.

VisItPixieReader

Why would you use this reader ?

It works fine with the XDMFReader

The VisItPixieReader is the reader I selected for the .h5 file.
If I understand correctly, the .xmf file contains the information that Paraview utilizes to interpret the .h5 file, which, in turn, holds the data regarding the fluid particles.

I have attached two videos demonstrating how I load the files; perhaps I made an error in the process. WeTransfer - Send Large Files & Share Photos Online - Up to 2GB Free

When I load only the .xmf file, it appears that the cubic volume is loaded, but I am unable to visualize any fluid particles.

Thank you.

Your file is not in Pixie format.

When I load only the .xmf file, it appears that the cubic volume is loaded, but I am unable to visualize any fluid particles.

Your file contains a volume, it does not contain fluid particles afaics

Your file is not in Pixie format.

And how can I correctly open the .h5 file?

Your file contains a volume, it does not contain fluid particles afaics

Sorry, actually my files should display the fluid velocity in the cubic volume.

If your file is in XDMF format, you should use the XDMF reader and open only the .xmf file

Sorry, actually my files should display the fluid velocity in the cubic volume.

You file contain a volumic cube with U and W data.

You could show the volume ?

You could trace streamlines ?

If your file is in XDMF format, you should use the XDMF reader and open only the .xmf file

Alright, now I’m opening only the .xmf file using the XDMFReader.

You file contain a volumic cube with U and W data.

Yes, now I can see this data. So, is this file not a time-series? Does it contain information about U and W for a single time instant?

Below are the volume rendering and the streamlines.

It looks like it yes.

Ok, thank you for your support and patience. Your intervention has been very helpful.

Thank you. :+1: :muscle: