Evenly Spaced Streamlines 2D

This seems right. Also make sure the seed point is in the same plane normal on Z.

If that does not work can you share you dataset?

Thanks,
Dan

Dear Dan,
I am in a similar situation to that of Nayla.
I have a 3D data set and I follow the path:

calculate 2D vector using U_XiHat+U_YjHat
take a 2D slice normal to z
try to use the filter and he tells me I am not on a XY plane.

Can you please give me a suggestion that might point me in the right direction?
Thanks a lot.

Joao

3D data

Dear Dan,
Please see the downloadable data.
Thanks a lot.

Best wishes,

Joao

It seems that
2D_data_test/2D_data_test_0_0.vtu

is missing from the zip archive.

Can you check this?

Thanks,

Dan

Dear Dan, sorry.
That file should not be required for the problem at hand.
Basically I took a slice, used the calculator filter to get a 2D vector with U_XiHat+U_YjHat and wrote it as a vtk file. Then I tried to open it and do the 2D streamlines but it did not work.
Please see in annex the file. 2D_data_test_0_0.vtm (637 Bytes)

please provide 2D_data_test/2D_data_test_0_0.vtu

Can this be of use?
Thanks a lot
2D_data_test_0_0.vtp (3.5 MB)

I think you are looking for the data Joao has provided here. I tested the evenlySpaced filter in this case many times with no success. As it is an OpenFOAM case, you only need to open “foam.foam” from within paraview.

Hi Dan,

I followed these steps and was able to create evenly-spaced streamlines on a 2D planE. But how can I place arrows on these streamline like the one seen here
https://www.kitware.com/evenly-spaced-streamlines-2d/

Best regards,

Hi Pradip,
There is a paraview state file and a dataset (make sure you uncompress it) linked in the blog that will produce the two images shown.
The links were broken, but we just fixed them.

You have to use the arc_length filter to compute the length of the streamlines, contour filter to produce equally spaced points and the glyph filter to place the arrows at those points.

1 Like

Hi Dan,

I couldn’t uncompress the data file. Seems it has been corrupt. When trying to extract, it returns “This does not look like a tar archive” (in Linux) and “The archive is corrupt” (in Windows). The Paraview state file opens to a new link and has no downloads. Could you please check again?

I did apply arc_length filter and contour filter to get the points. I think it should be correct up to this point. After that, when applying the glyph filter, I can’t get the arrow quite like the ones in the blog.

1. If I apply a regular glyph filter then the arrows are like the regular arrows for velocity vectors where you can change glyps type to Arrow/cone/box etc.
  2. If I apply GlyphWithCustomSource filter with the previous contour as an input/glyph source, it gives a thin line on those points.

Best regards,

Try right click and then Save link as… for both the pvsm and the tgz file. I use Chrome on Windows to download the files and Ubuntu 20.04 on Windows to untar the data file.
Then I used ParaView 5.10 to load the pvsm. I got a warning about a deprecated Glyph filter but everything worked fine and got the two images.