Export stl from a powder pack obtained in LIGGGHTS

Hi
I have imported a powder pack in PV. When I use the point gaussian representation with the desired particle radius, it seems ok. However, I cannot export this geometry to import it in fluent. Is it possible to export the geometry obtained in point gaussian representation as stl?

Point gaussian is a rendering technique that allow you to use 2D textures rather than actual geometry. If you want to generate spherical particles to be used in another tool, you will have to use the Glyph filter to actually generate the mesh that you expect.

Thank you so much for your reply. I have tried Glyph and exported stl. Is tit possible to increase the facets on spheres to obtain smoother spheres? This is how it look after importing to any CAD software.

Thank you so much. It helped me a lot.

Hi Mohammad and Sebastien,
Your discussion was very helpful for me but I have a question. When I use Glyph filter and export the stl file, all of the particles are hollow. I need dense and solid particles. Do you know how can I export (stl or other versions) file containing solid particles and import it into fluent?
Kind regards,
Mehran

STL is just surface, so I’m not sure you can get solid particles that way.
The Glyph filter is also duplicating only a surface mesh (not solid).

Writing a script to do what you are looking for should be straight forward assuming we can export the generated vtkUnstructuredGrid into a format fluent is looking for.

Unless fluent use a rectilinear grid and you just need to tag voxels… Which is also not too bad to handle.

But in either case, it will be hard for us to provide a fully working solution via discourse.

As Sebastien mentioned, the best way would be to use a script and x,y,z,r of the particles. Since I am using Fluent, I used this method in SpaceClaim to obtain a solid part without faceted surfaces.

Thanks very much Mohammad and Sebastien! I realized that there are some ways to make a solid body from an stl file.