Exporting cell areas of a slice to compute flow rate

(Mark) #1

Hi all,

I have an openfoam simulation. I am interested in the flow though a slice, normal velocity vectors in this slice point in both directions.

Using the Integrating filter over the slice gives me the the average flow, but I am interested in the total flow in one direction and the total flow in the other direction. I plan to export the velocities and cell areas and do further calculations in python.

With the spreadsheet view I am able to compute the flow vectors for each point/cell. But I’ve not figured out how to include the area that is associated with the cell/point in the export so I can calculate the flow.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,

(Cory Quammen (Kitware)) #2

Add a Cell Size filter to the slice. The adds a cell data array with the areas of the cells to its output.

(Mark) #3

Thanks,

That did the trick

(Mark) #4

I am a bit confused on what the dimension of the presented variables is using the cell size filter.
since I want to compute a flow, and need the area of the cell I’m setting the attribute in spreadsheet-view to cell Data.
This provides me with a list of area’s and U:0 U:1 and U:2
I would have expected that if my defined plane is in the X-Z plane that I can compute the flow by using the Area of the cell multiplied by U:1, summing over the total area, however this does not add up to the flow I expect.

Is there something incorrect with my assumption?

Kind regards,

Mark