Exporting publication-quality images

Hello everyone,

I have two main questions about publication-quality images. I got stuck in making quality images for my journal article. Since, all my charts/render views is in Paraview.

First, I am trying to export vector graphics such as postscript, SVG, or PDF for chart view. In vector graphics, axes titles have wrong font type, size and positions. Also, x-axis limits are not applied. I think the reason of the wrong type and size is that I used MathText in the axis titles but I don’t know the reasons of the wrong position and limits for x axis. There are two images with true (png) and wrong (vector) in attachment. How can I export vector graphics with appearance of the Paraview rendering? Additionally, I guess we can not export vector graphics for comparative chart or render views because of disabling “export scenes” choice. Is there really no way?

Second, if I prefer a raster format like tif/png, is it possible to adjust DPI quality of the image not the image size? If not, do you have any suggestions (including other than Paraview)?

Note: I tried Paraview v5.2, v5.3, v5.4 and v5.5. The problem happens in all Paraview versions that I tried and all vector graphics formats. Data types are csv for chart view, OpenFOAM results for render view. I tested “render text as paths” or other options in the export scene.
Thanks in advance,
Best regards,
Ahmet

The system didn’t allow to upload multiple images. So, true image is above. Wrong image is below.

Thanks,

Yeah, new user limitations, sorry.

I replied on the mailing list, but for future users who find this and not that topic:

I’m not familiar with vector graphics export, but for PNG images (maybe tiffs, I haven’t tested it) the OSX application Preview can help you fix the DPI. Just export to the number of pixels you want and then fix the DPI in Preview. (The control to adjust DPI can be found in the dialog created by Tools → Adjust Size)

1 Like

Regarding the one image upload limit for new users, I have bumped that up to 4 images.

1 Like

Hi Shawn and Cory,

Thanks for reply about raster format. I tried your suggestion, it works and I will use that. But I have concerns about that. Does 3rd party program really increase the quality of DPI by itself? For example, I exported a .tif image with 25 DPI (default value of DPI is 25 for Paraview versions that I tested.) and I increased the DPI to 300. Will not there be any pixelations in the qualified image?

It will very helpful to change the limitation for new users. Thanks Cory.

By the way, I realized that .tif export option has been removed in the v.5.5. Why?

Note: Exporting vector format problem is valid for Windows and Mac platforms.

No. What you would generally do is export an image that is (desired size * desired DPI) pixels in size and then use the third-party program to override the DPI. This will change the image size in inches but leave the number of pixels alone.

2 Likes

Hi Ahmet,

I can reproduce this issue locally and will take a look in the next week or so.

I’ve opened an issue for this defect here:

https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/issues/17339

Best,
Allie

1 Like

Hi again Shawn and Allison,

I see. Thanks a lot Shawn.

I will follow the issue from gitlab. Thanks Allie.

Best regards,
Ahmet

Dear all,
Just to let you guys know,
I tested Paraview 5.8.1 and both in Windows and Linux, the file produces an svg with a png of the scene.
Alll the best,
Murilo