Extract data from plane as a CSV file

Hello everyone,

I have a 3D time varying CFD dataset as binary files. I am able to visualize them in Paraview. However, I would like to know if there is a way to write data as a CSV/DAT file from a sliced plane.I have tried fiddling around with the options in Data Analysis tab but I only find plot over line. Any help on writing binary files to CSV/DAT?

Thanks

File → SaveData → Select .csv ?

Thanks for your reply,

Does that save the entire data that I loaded into or just the plane?

Also I don’t have the x, y, z data written this way

Can I define a custom variable to do this? Cuz the data I load doesn’t have the space coordinates

I have no idea what you mean, please explain.

Sorry for being unclear.

I am doing a 3d CFD simulation which has many variables like x-velocity, y-velocity, z velocity, temperature, etc.

When I do save data, I have a CSV that stores all these variables. But, in addition, I also need the location where these variables are stored i.e. the physical coordinates of the point to which each CSV line corresponds.

Here’s what I mean:

The CSV that I get:

Temp, X_vel, Y_Vel, Z_vel
900, 20, 20, 30
…

1000, 25, 25, 25

What I want:

X, Y, Z, Temp, X_vel, Y_Vel, Z_vel

0, 0, 0, 900, 20, 20, 30
…
1, 1, 1, 1000, 25, 25, 25

note that the data I load into paraview doesn’t have the space coordinates (X,Y, Z)

I hope this gets the point accross.

Add a calculator filter with the following formula:

“coords”

1 Like

You mean that place?

Yes, that is the idea, however it looks like you are using “CellData”, so that would not work.

Any work arounds?

I’m still confused on what you are doing, please share your data.

We changed from Cell data to Point data and it worked, but the other variables vanished.

Will just try something more and let you know what worked

Thanks !

So I somehow go the coordinates but they are in a separate CSV.

I feel this arises because the other scalars are stored as cell-data and the coordinates we compute as point data

here’s the dataset

This is correct. You can use CellDataToPointData filter to point your data on the points instead.

1 Like

This worked finally