Extract SPH Surface Elevation Along a Line or Plane Over Time

Hi there, I was wondering if there is a way to extract the elevation of SPH particles as they pass through a static line or plane? Essentially I am trying to retrieve a wave-gauge type reading that outlines the elevation of the SPH particles at a specific static location over time. I am a new user and have been playing around with the elevation filter but can’t seem to figure out where to go from here.
Thanks!

Did you find out how it worked?

@Stefan1, I did not end up finding a solution to this through Paraview. I ended up writing my own script in python. Do you have any ideas or have you found a way to?

@PJay I did not yet. There should be a way using the slice and calculator filters like OpenFOAM, but I might end up needing to write a script too as you might not want to share yours publicly. :slight_smile:

However, thank you for the quick response.

@Stefan1 Yes I got lost in all the filters so I found writing a script to be the easier solution, I can send you my code if you would like but it basically just parses down a very specific text file written out by LS DYNA so it may not be very useful. A basic outline of the code is:

1. Write out a text file that contains nodal coordinates of the sph particle for each output time step
  2. Define where you want to extract surface elevation, for me this was a point with coordinates x, y, z
  3. Search all nodal coordinates for each time step for nodes that pass through the defined extraction volume. What I found was that I needed a search buffer around the extraction point in case sph particles do not pass directly over the point
  4. Extract only the nodes with the highest elevation to get the surface elevation at the extraction point