extract the outer surface of the tube and show it as a rectangular surface

Dear experts,

I have a 3D domain in the form of a tube (see the following figure). I would like to know if there is a way to extract the outer boundary of my tube and show it in the form of a rectangular 2D surface. This will help a lot in demonstrating my results.

Hi @mohsen.rock ,

A screenshot of what you want to do would be nice.

Maybe FeatureEdges ?

Hi @mwestphal

Thanks for the quick response. Here is a sketch of what I would like to do (sorry for the awful drawing).

You are looking for a Silhouette filter, sadly none have been integrated in ParaView yet. You can find an (old) discussion about it here: [Paraview] Contribution : Silhouette edges filter

Indeed, very sad. Thank you anyway.

It just needs to be exposed in ParaView? I see https://vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkPolyDataSilhouette.html. If yes, @cory.quammen would you like me to do that?

Correct me if I am wrong, but this looks like you want to unwrap the cylinder, i.e., cut it down its length and then flatten it out.

Maybe ? I’m not entirely sure.

@spyridon97 my understanding is that this filter needs access to the camera, which ParaView cant provide.

Yes exactly. I managed to do it by using the calculator and transforming the coordinates of the tube outer surface into a rectangular plane.

1 Like

Hi @mohsen.rock,

In this post I explain my steps whenever I need to unwrap cylinder. Maybe it is of use to you too.

Kind regards,
Roland