failure to compile vtkmpi4py in PV5.6.0

I have switched desktop to a newer machine, gcc version 8.3.0 (Ubuntu 8.3.0-6ubuntu1)

turning on MPI, I can no longer compile with the following failure:

/usr/bin/cc -DMPICH_SKIP_MPICXX -DOMPI_SKIP_MPICXX -DPyMPI_MISSING_MPI_Status_c2f -DPyMPI_MISSING_MPI_Status_f2c -DPyMPI_MISSING_MPI_Type_create_f90_complex -DPyMPI_MISSING_MPI_Type_create_f90_integer -DPyMPI_MISSING_MPI_Type_create_f90_real -D_MPICC_H -Dvtkmpi4py_MPI_EXPORTS -DVTK_IN_VTK -Dmpi4py_MPI_EXPORTS -I/local/apps/ParaView/ParaView-v5.6.0Build -I/local/apps/ParaView/ParaView-v5.6.0Build/VTK/ThirdParty/mpi4py -I/local/apps/ParaView/ParaView-v5.6.0/VTK/ThirdParty/mpi4py -I/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/mpich -I/usr/include/python3.7m -I/local/apps/ParaView/ParaView-v5.6.0/VTK/ThirdParty/mpi4py/vtkmpi4py/src -w -O2 -g -DNDEBUG -fPIC -o CMakeFiles/mpi4py.MPI.dir/src/MPI.c.o -c /local/apps/ParaView/ParaView-v5.6.0/VTK/ThirdParty/mpi4py/vtkmpi4py/src/MPI.c

In file included from /local/apps/ParaView/ParaView-v5.6.0/VTK/ThirdParty/mpi4py/vtkmpi4py/src/MPI.c:4:
/local/apps/ParaView/ParaView-v5.6.0/VTK/ThirdParty/mpi4py/vtkmpi4py/src/mpi4py.MPI.c: In function ‘__Pyx_PyCFunction_FastCall’:
/local/apps/ParaView/ParaView-v5.6.0/VTK/ThirdParty/mpi4py/vtkmpi4py/src/mpi4py.MPI.c:163017:13: error: too many arguments to function ‘(PyObject * ()(PyObject , PyObject * const, Py_ssize_t))meth’
return (
((__Pyx_PyCFunctionFast)meth)) (self, args, nargs, NULL);

I’d appreciate any advice. TIA

Jean,
I think I hit the same problem recently. Are you trying to compile paraview 5.6 with python 3.7?

You’ll need to use python 3.6 for paraview 5.6. I think master works with python 3.7.

Dan

Hello Dan

indeed, I am using the default python3 of Ubuntu 19.04 (i.e. python 3.7).

I confirm that PV master compiles OK.

To manually update 5.6, see Superbuild with Anaconda Python 3.7.1