Feature Edges partially shown for hidden Edges

I’ve found that when applying Feature Edges to a model there are often lines drawn along edges that are not visible:

Enabling Camera Parallel Projection exacerbates this problem:

I’ve tried adjusting the properties of Feature Edges to no avail.

The posted images are a mild case. In some models the issue is much more prevalent, to the point where I must carefully apply Feature Edges only to select components so the whole model doesn’t become overridden by extraneous lines.

Is this a bug? Is there a workaround?

Thanks,
Ted

I believe this has been present for a few versions, but is at least present in 5.9.0

I was previously talking about using the Feature Edges filter, but I get the same effect in 5.9.0 using the Feature Edges representation.

There was an underlying change in VTK which made lines rendered-as-tubes start paying attention to the coincident topology settings - so this is the effect you are seeing, I believe.

You can fix it in your copy of ParaView by going to Settings, RenderView tab, click the gear for advanced settings, and either changing Resolve Coincident Topology to “Do nothing”, or change the second Line Offset Parameter to 0 or something much smaller than -4, appropriate for your data.

This has been discussed in vtk issues like https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/-/issues/17936 but I don’t think ParaView has changed it’s default settings yet.

Regards,
Aron