Fides reader for ADIOS2 data

ParaView has a new reader for reading ADIOS2 data. Fides is a library that uses a JSON data model to map ADIOS2 data arrays to VTK-m datasets. The goal is to enable interoperable visualization services that can be readily integrated into scientific workflows without the need to write specialized adaptors. The JSON data model describes the details of the mesh and fields in the data to be read. Simulations already using ADIOS2 do not need to make any changes to the way their data is written/streamed by ADIOS.

The Fides user guide contains an example of using the ParaView reader.

So far we’ve been focused on supporting fusion energy codes, but we are currently working with the ADIOS2 team to make sure Fides works for any application using ADIOS2.

1 Like

This is very nice work, and I have been able to replicate your example reading the Gray-Scott output. Now, I stumble upon executing the last part of your document Using Fides in ParaView — Fides documentation

I don’t understand where, and how the libParaViewADIOSInSituEngine.so should be created. I am not finding the relevant configure/compile flags? Can you elaborate on that?

TIA

It was just pointed out to me that that documentation is very out of date. I plan to update it this week. We ended up having ADIOS build the plugin in that repo instead of building it in ParaView. ADIOS needs to be built with ADIOS2_USE_Catalyst=ON, pointing it to the Catalyst stub library build. Then build ADIOS and the plugin should be built as well, and you’ll be able to find it in the lib directory of the ADIOS install. So ADIOS2_PLUGIN_PATH can be set to that.

A couple of notes:

• Use ADIOS v2.9
  • ParaView must also be built with that ADIOS, so you cannot use ParaView binaries to work with this
  • I think you’ll probably need the changes in this ParaView MR as well.

got it! Thanks. I think I applied all the required patches, and I got images, running
mpirun -n 4 ./gray-scott settings-inline.json

that’s pretty cool stuff.