Filtering specific particles in particle data

Hello,

I have some positions data of a large number of particles over a large number of iterations. Visualizing everything at once over all iterations is therefore a bit of a hassle. I was wondering if there were any possibility to apply some initial filter that would be applied for all iteration e.g. track only particles that start in a given area ?

Thanks for any help !

Any chance someone knows the solution ? I guess tracking only some specific particles in time is something elementary but I can’t find the way to do that.

So many solutions for this, simplest would be ExtractSelection or Clip but that depends how you want to filter particles.

My problem is that the Clip solution will clip on a given spatial region of the domain and this for only one timestep. What I would like to do is follow over all timesteps only particles that started for instance in region x>0.5 & x<0.75 or only particles whose initial velocity where say vel=1. So I would tag these particles initially and follow only them even though they go out of the inital region of interest or if they change their velocity. Is this possible ?

Are your particles identified by an id ?

Not that I know of…how do I do that ? They all are located in one given block though, is this equivalent ?

please share (some timesteps of) your data

Here: .nc files with xdmf to read with xdmf reader v1.

particles_w_xdmf.tar.gz (2.7 MB)

Sorry it’s only two timesteps, the server keeps crashing at the end of the upload and I guess it’s bc my fiel was too big.

It looks like your number of points and point idexing is not changing over time also your point indexing is spacially logical, so extract points based on their ID should work perfectly.

• Edit → FindData → Find Points → ID is between → the values you want
  • Run Selection Query
  • Extract Selection, Apply

Oh, great thanks ! The filter on IDs is only continuous right ? Namely, I can’t give a list of discontinuous IDs ?

You can use a custom query and write in python to select any ids you want.

Oh great, I’ll look into that. Thanks again. I’ve recently heard you’re giving some introductory classes at my institute so I’ll ask to follow it. I still have some remaining questions to use this great software :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello,
Is this topic still live? I hope it is because I have an almost identical problem. I have similar time sequence of particle datasets – including particle coordinates (x,y,z), and also tag01=particle ID. I also want to select groups of different particles by their initial positions (not necessarily their ID – though that would be an equivalent solution if I knew particle ID’s by region) and then follow these same group in time. I would also like to color this group of particles for visual clarity – other groups of particles would have different colors.

I would greatly appreciate sharing the solution to this problem with you (or anyone) with complete example. At the moment, I can follow the entire set of 288 particles as Point Gaussian; but when I select the different groups of particles with different colors, something strange happens: some of the colors appear to randomly swap between some of the particles.

Regards
Nadeem