Frequency+time representation

Hi,

I have a dataset which represents some quantity on a 3D grid and also depends on frequency. In Paraview I represent the different frequencies as if they were different time steps, and it makes it very convenient to navigate through the different frequencies.
Now I would like to represent, on top of this quantity, another quantity which depends on time, and I would like to be able to navigate through the different time steps. When I import it, Paraview merges the frequencies, represented as time steps, and the “real time steps”.

Is it possible to select different time steps on different datasets ? e.g. represent time step 3 of dataset 1 and time step 42 of dataset 2, regardless of the actual time value of the time steps ?

If not, is there a way to navigate through the data with two different parameters ? Or if not, how would you deal with this frequency+time representation problem ? I use Paraview 5.6.0, and import data as xdmf/hdf5, but I am quite flexible if the solution implies changing the import format.

Thanks for your help,

Bruno

ParaView consolidates the time for all data sources. That makes it easy to synchronize time-dependent data from different sources (which is usually what you want to do), but makes it tricky in the rare cases where you have to have two separate time streams. I think the easiest solution is to use the time manipulation filters to set one of the “times,” which is clunky but should work. In particular the Force Time filter should provide what you need. Here are the steps I recommend trying.

1. Load in the data where time really represents frequency.
  2. Right click the object in the Pipeline Browser and turn on the Ignore Time feature.
  3. Add the Force Time filter. Make sure Ignore Pipeline Time is on (the default) and set the Forced Time option to the time representing the frequency you want to see.
  4. Load the data set with real time steps.

Now when you hit play, the frequency should be locked while the animation happens over all the real time steps.

Ok, this seems to work fine.

Thanks for the help !

Bruno