.glance file generation "colorBy" not loading solid color for .stl files

Hi,
I am writing a glance file loading multiple .stl files via url. I used the TieFighter.glance (with colorBy a solid color) and followed the instructions from the below discourse.
https://discourse.paraview.org/t/paraview-glance-loading-multiple-files/4238

However, when I try to do this using .stl files I get the below errors and the “Color By” section automatically is set to “Attribute” with the default color map.
“attempt to set zero width color range
attempt to set zero width color range”

The only change I made to the glance file is the name and url found in the .glance file (image below). Can you tell us why the Tiefighter works to set as a “Solid Color” from the .glance file, but our example fails to set the Solid Color correctly?

I have no experience in glance files but I am commenting because I saw you mentioning OBJ and STL files and problem related to color data.

Just wanted to comment here what I know. STL files do not support scalar/color data in it. You may check if this limitation is causing issues in your case or not. Some relevant discussion that talk about the limitation of STL is added below:

1 Like

Thanks Sherin,

This is helpful, but Im trying to get the colorBy information embedded into the .glance file to apply to an .stl file loaded from a url. I am not trying to get color data from the .stl file, like the .obj does not. However, after loading the glance file, if manually changed to “Solid Color” in the “Color By” section it applies the color attribute designated in the .glance file.

Just to give another update as we have been working on trying to solve:
We have loaded the .glance file we used to modified the below .glance files onto both the nightly Glance build (Kitware Glance) where the ColorBy does not automatically load into the glance scene and on version 3.5.10 (https://pvw.kitware.com/glance/) for the below files the colors do load onto the glance scene.
TieFighter.glance (999 Bytes)
modified_tiefighter_with_electrode.glance (1.6 KB)