Good practice for building Catalyst

I’m intending to integrate Catalyst-based analysis into the CFD code I use so I figured I would for now build and use a feature-rich Catalyst until I have figured out what parts of Catalyst I actually need in production.

Following this guide, here’s what I did:

1. downloaded Catalyst-v5.5.2-Base-Enable-Python-Essentials-Extras-Rendering-Base.tar.gz
  2. extracted the tarball to a temporary directory (<source_dir>)
  3. inside my empty build directory I executed <source_dir>/cmake.sh <source_dir>
  4. make

I received no error messages and I was able to compile and run the example in ParaView_5.5.2/Examples/Catalyst/Fortran90FullExample/ (after figuring out how to).
When executing the example, the following messages are printed out, but at the same time, slice_10.pvtp is created so I’m happy it’s working:

Error: Cannot import vtkPVServerManagerDefault
Error: Cannot import vtkPVAnimation

Here’s my concern: When trying to compile my code equipped with the coprocessor stuff, cmake fails, complaining:

CMake Error at /soft/Catalyst-v5.5.2-Base-Enable-Python-Essentials-Extras-Rendering-Base/VTK/VTKConfig.cmake:114 (include):
  include could not find load file:

/tmp/Catalyst-v5.5.2-Base-Enable-Python-Essentials-Extras-Rendering-Base/VTK/CMake/vtkModuleAPI.cmake
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /soft/Catalyst-v5.5.2-Base-Enable-Python-Essentials-Extras-Rendering-Base/ParaViewConfig.cmake:66 (include)
  CMakeLists.txt:7 (find_package)

CMake Error at /soft/Catalyst-v5.5.2-Base-Enable-Python-Essentials-Extras-Rendering-Base/VTK/VTKConfig.cmake:130 (vtk_module_config):
  Unknown CMake command "vtk_module_config".
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /soft/Catalyst-v5.5.2-Base-Enable-Python-Essentials-Extras-Rendering-Base/ParaViewConfig.cmake:66 (include)
  CMakeLists.txt:7 (find_package)

So, apparently, VTK/VTKConfig.cmake needs files from the source directory, which I did not keep.
Is this intended to be that way or did I do anything wrong?

If the former is the case, the build instructions should say that one needs to keep the source directory.

For the lazy, you can have a feature-rich catalyst by just using the ParaView files directly. I.e. compile ParaView with development headers and just use them for catalyst.

1 Like

Hi Bastian,

Concerning these messages:

You can safely ignore them, they are irrelevant. It was fixed since version 5.5.2.

For the second part: I’m not surprised that you need the sources. Building the project will not copy all necessary includes files in the build dir.